SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Maintenance Log (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36683-maintenance-log.html)

Duke 7184 09-08-2007 07:28 AM

Maintenance Log

What type of system do you use to keep track of the maintenance aboard your boat: memory, log book, computer, check book? What is the most important information to record: date, device, symptoms, part nos., cost, etc.? During the renovation of my boat I kept a journal "Captian's Log" to keep track of the progress. Now I am finding this technique does't fit well for maintaning a useable maintenance history. What works for you?

sailingdog 09-08-2007 08:15 AM

I use a 3-ring binder with a section for each major system on the boat. Rigging, deck hardware, Galley, Electronics, Auxilliary Engine, Dinghy, Head, etc. The first page of each section is reserved for consumable parts lists, things like impellers, oil filters, fuel filters, head re-build kits, burner models, etc are listed there. The second page is a list of spares and where they are kept. The rest of the pages are reserved for recording repairs or maintenance done and notes about specific repairs.

Lancer28 09-08-2007 09:51 AM

I use only one logbook for each boat. It has areas on the second page to write observations, notes, maintenance reminders, etc.

I track slightly more than probably the next guy, but I use spaces for all my navigation, inboard or outboard run time (I also have hobbs meters), weather observations, forecasts, barometer, fuel used/ taken on, water used / taken on, parts or spares used and locations, repairs made or needed to be made, groceries bought, used, and even meals prepared and propane used / tanks replaced. Heck I even keep people's names and boat they are on when I meet them and log fun things like the rafting up or anchoring together for cocktails, as well as guests and so forth.

I've digressed. I love my logbook. It makes for a good read later on. Back to the maintenance; I have a big three-ring book/binder that I keep all of my instruction manuals, part numbers torn from box tops, regular writing paper with drawings about wiring diagrams, repairs made, and anything else I've done that I need to keep notes about. Receipts stay at home in the safe.

The logbook simply records when I made a repair, and what I have on the "to-do" list with check boxes next to them. When I need to reference a paticular part number or data sheet, or even manual, I open the three ring binder with the plastic page protectors in them holding all the loose pages. It makes it easy for me having a to-do list in the log and the technical library and parts list elsewhere.

(Sorry for any typos, my wireless keyboard batteries are dying and keys are not typing well)

jrd22 09-08-2007 11:44 AM

We use a maintenance book that we probably bought at West Marine years ago. It has sections for parts, repairs, fuel,etc. It's all layed out in a very usable form and you can keep it simple or very detailed whichever is your preference. I'm sure there is something similar available on the book rack of most marine stores. We keep a seperate log of daily trips, destinations etc.

Idiens 09-08-2007 01:21 PM

Apart from the navigation log, I keep an engine log book and a maintenance log book. Then I have my jobs to-do list which has turned into an MSProject file to try and figure out how long it will take me to finish them all (2009 and counting)....:)

Duke 7184 09-08-2007 10:32 PM

Thanks for the input. You have given me several ideas on how I want to put together my maintenance and operating logs. Knowing me as I do I will probably have to revise the system a time or two before I am satisified with it. Again... Many Thanks, Duke