SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rod rigging on c&c 35 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36775-rod-rigging-c-c-35-a.html)

painters 09-11-2007 11:54 PM

Rod rigging on c&c 35

How do you know when it's time to replace it? How much do you think it would cost to do it? Have a long journey in mind.

Valiente 09-12-2007 12:03 AM

You could talk to a rigger, or post on a C&C 35 forum (see www.cncphotoalbum.com), or just make the assumption that if it's original '80s rigging, it's time to replace it. As you know, rod rigging is an either/or proposition: when it fails, it fails completely, rather than giving you some notice with rust streaks or meathooks like 1 x 19 wire.

You also don't say whether you are on the Great Lakes or on salt, and whether you haul and stow the mast for winter, or whether you do fresh water rinses of the lower shrouds, or where you are planning to go. All would affect my answer.

sailingfool 09-12-2007 12:06 AM

Call a rigger...

Quote:

Originally Posted by painters (Post 191497)
How do you know when it's time to replace it? How much do you think it would cost to do it? Have a long journey in mind.

Some folks will say 10 years, but I don't believe there's a set formula that reconized how differently boats are used and how much. A friend has owned a C&C 33 for 25 years and he feels the original rod rigging still has an indefinite life.
I think the thing to do is to have a professional rigger inspect your gear and advice base don wha the sees.

painters 09-12-2007 12:32 AM

Salt Water in Florida, does it get any worse then that? Going across the pond from Florida to my home on Black Sea. I've looked at this rod Rigging on new and old c&c boats and it always looks the same. Can't tell if it's going to fail untill it happens? Great. Get a rigger, get a honest one or just get your checkbook ready, lol thanks guys.

Sailormann 09-12-2007 01:03 AM

Might be cheaper to put the boat onto a transport ship and fly home ...

painters 09-12-2007 01:07 AM

sailormann, that bad huh?

SimonV 09-12-2007 03:03 AM

In Australia the insurance companys require standing rigging to be replaced every 7 yes seven years or no insurance.

SimonV 09-12-2007 03:07 AM

cost wise for a 35' Gal 3-4k , SS 4-6k, rod 9-11k US$ based on an Islander 36'.

Gary M 09-12-2007 08:01 AM

7years !! wow I hope that is a trend that does not catch on over here. It seems rather extreme to me. Most boats I am familiar with all have original rigging, mostly from the 70s or first half of the 80s. Of course I am fresh water. I could see 15 years maybe.

Now you guys have me worried about my 84 rod rigging. :(

Gary

sailingdog 09-12-2007 08:37 AM

A lot of it depends on how the boat is used/abused, where it is, how it is maintained, etc... I've seen boats with 20-year old rigging that was replaced for no reason... as proven by post-replacement testing. I've also seen rigging that was only six or seven years old fail. Neither is typical. Having a rigger look at the rigging isn't all that useful with rod rigging IMHO. It doesn't really have any external signs of aging, that are going to be visible.