Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Jackstands: Number And Size?

We'll soon be needing jackstands for our new-to-us Pearson P30. We're thinking of these: http://www.kleeco-marina-equipment.com/boatstands.asp

The question is: For our P30: What size and how many? A friend suggested six (6) of either the medium (MSBJ - 48-60") or large (LSBJ - 60-72"), the idea being four (4) in use and a "spare" pair to allow us to move one set at a time for bottom-painting. Then again: Another club member, with a 37' boat, is getting eight (8). So I don't know whether I should get six (4+2) or eight (6+2)?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Not familiar with Kleeco stands, but if they're similar to Brownell stands, here's a guide for sizing them to your boat : Boat stand sizing guide
Old 09-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SEMIJim-

It really depends on the height of the blocking you're using to support the keel of the boat and where you're placing the stands. What is the draft of your boat, and what is the distance from the ground to the area the pads will be located.

Considering that the P30 has a draft of 5' or so, the use of medium stands is probably not such a good idea, since their adjustment range ends at 60". The large stands go from 60-72"... and if you use 8x8" blocks for the keel, you would probably have a decent range for supporting the boat, However, it depends on the hull shape quite a bit.

I would get seven or nine boat stands. One should be a v-shaped head for the bow. The others should be regular boat stands. A guideline I've been told is one pair for every 10' of LOA, plus a pair for use as supports to move the others... you could go with either six or eight... depending on what you feel comfortable with. Eight would be more secure.

Personally, I would recommend getting nine stands total.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-12-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
I think for brownell stands you will need SB2's. To be really safe you can do 6 standard sb2's with and one with a v top. Therefore 7 jackstands.
Old 09-12-2007

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/4/89894304.htm

You might want to check this out. I count 6 stands and 2 sets of blocks on this 31 footer. This looks to be after the fall, so I would consider 9. You will never regret having too many, only too few.
Old 09-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
vabuckeye,
From what I can tell from the before photo, the jackstand chains were not tightened securely. There appears to be considerable slack. Whether this boat had 7 or 9 stands, they do little good in a stiff wind if not chained together laterally.
Old 09-12-2007
Señor Member

Actually, after looking closer it seems that the so-called "before" photo was taken after the fall - shorter powerboat stands were used, due to the broken keel.

The other pics show sailboat stands - difficult to say if the chains were secure or not - not enough evidence. I do agree though - never enough stands.

Curiously, this boat is just across the Bay from us.
Old 09-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, I think you mean nine...since he needs a spare set to use when he is painting the bottom, so he can move the ones that are actually supporting the boat around. I think you want him to have six stands and a v-top supporting the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16 View Post
I think for brownell stands you will need SB2's. To be really safe you can do 6 standard sb2's with and one with a v top. Therefore 7 jackstands.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the input, everybody.

Nine (four on each side and one on the bow) seems excessive to me. I'm thinking seven (three on each side and one on the bow) should do it. Brownell recommends one for every eight feet. That would be 3.75 for our 30' boat. So I think four per side, plus a bow stand, should do the trick.

I'll probably go with the large (60 - 72") ones. ISTM it'd be easier to add more blocking under the keel if the large are too tall, than to remove ground under it if the medium are too short . (Esp. in an asphalt parking lot.)

Btw: Is there some reason chain is used to lash these together, rather than steel cable?

Jim
Old 09-12-2007
Telstar 28

SEMIJim-

You need nine stands.... three per side (six total), plus a bow v-stand and a spare pair for when you're painting.

Telstar 28
New England