Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-14-2007

petermat is on a distinguished road
Question Life Ball ??

I just found an locker in my US 30 that I had noticed in the year I have had her. Inside where two 'things'. Each is two red plastic half shell held together with tape, about 5" long and 4" in diameter. There is a hank of cord attached to the shell, and some 'stuff' inside the shell that I cannot readily see. There was half a label attached to one of them. This identifies them as a device called a "Life Ball" and the part of the instructions that I have say -
"Take the life ball out of the bag. Pull string and remove safety valve. Throw ball to objective"
"The life buo ....
alighting on ....
in only 2 ~......
of 60 cm cap ....
of 120 kg."

I am suspecting that this is something like Mustangs new throw stick. Google turned up nothing for me. (Maybe they are to old?).

Can any one identify these devices and advise if they are likely to be useful please?

Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Peter-

Sounds interesting...do you have a photo of the beastie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2007

Saildog - will get one tomorrow and post it.

To the Bucaneer 305 owner - Sailnet wont let me reply to private messages.
There was nothing magic about the locker, it is the space behind the starboard settee back. I must just never haver pulled on those cushions before!
Old 09-15-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you should pull the cord... maybe it is some strange object like Jumanji.... hahaha

No seriously, I'd like to see a picture too. It could be a survival kit. If that is the case, it is probably expired anyhow, so go ahead and open it and see what your time capsule contains!
Old 09-17-2007

Life Ball picture problem

I got the picture. I tried "insert image" from the taskbar - no joy. I tried the "attachment" item. The popop says jpeg less than 800*600 and < 97.7k is OK. So i selected my 788 * 378, 50 odd kb file and it said "upload failed" - so now I have a different question ....
Peter
Old 09-17-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a life saving device used in Australia by rock fishermen. Where if a fisherman is washed of the rocks into the sea a person on land can throw a line to them. We have a large number die each year.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 09-17-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Well, the instructions have some metric clues in there, if it were made for the US market it wouldn't be in metric.
Old 09-17-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
This reminds me about some banter I had with a watch mate on a offshore passage to Antigua a few years ago.

We "invented" the all purpose marine accessory which we called "navball".

It was intended to be an all in one device being a ball which could be divided into two halves. Some of the uses we came up with were:

Day shape
Mooring buoy
anchor float
barbecue
radar reflector
abandon ship container
fender
epirb
spare fuel or water tank

There were many other uses for the navball , but I can't recall them now. Perhaps you have some ideas for this exciting product. Spheres are useful!

jef
sv shiva
Old 09-17-2007
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Inflatable Radar Reflector

Lifeball is an inflatable radar reflector, intended for use in an emergency, I found a website www.lifeball.comSeems like a good addition to a ditching kit.
Old 09-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Peter-

Should have warned you...the photo upload on Sailnet has never worked properly IMHO. You really need to upload the photo to a photo sharing site, like flickr.com, shutterfly.com or the such, and then post the image via the icon in the toolbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermat View Post
I got the picture. I tried "insert image" from the taskbar - no joy. I tried the "attachment" item. The popop says jpeg less than 800*600 and < 97.7k is OK. So i selected my 788 * 378, 50 odd kb file and it said "upload failed" - so now I have a different question ....
Peter

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.