Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-16-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Denise, on starships the power is expected to be there all the time, so important things like life support and shields can operate, and if there's a power failure you've got big problems, it just ain't supposed to happen.

Sail diesel powered sailboats are built with a different philosophy in mind: That the electrical system can and will fail from time to time, from a dead battery if nothing else. And having a diesel engine that can be hand-cranked (in theory anyway) with fuel and water and oil pumps that all run off the reliable diesel engine, without electricity, is supposed to be a good idea.

So by all means, use an electric pump--if your electrical system is up to starship standards. [g]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Fixed!

Went to this Marine supply in NJ not far from here. One if my club friends raves about it. I get there... one word.. OBERDORFER... deap pan look and reaction. He makes two calls to Fla for the part numbers. Turns out he actually had the parts back there! New plate, seal and the gaskets which are exstreamly thin on this pump. Between the worn old plate and homemade gaskets the pump wouldn't pump or hold a prime. It's working now.. better then ever I might add.

Again thank you all for you input!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook