Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-15-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
OH duh! (lost my water!)

Seawater I mean Yesterday we did a trail run on the ramp with my boat on it's yard trailer, then put the boat back in the water. It never crossed my mind that all the water would run out the seawater intake. Now it's not pumping. it's a universal 5416, Oberdorfer pump, never had great flow but always pumped. This seems to be an air problem seals? gasket? We put a new impeller (Globe run dry type) in last month all was ok. Tomorrow morning I'll get the boat over to the dock and do the raw water hose and garden hose in a bucket routine and see if that works. My experiance tells me that the pump should be self priming though. The pump is about 10" above the water line.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
umm

is a check valve between the pump and strainer a bad Idea? Sounds like a solution to me. The strainer would clog before the check valve I think. It's real easy access in my boat. Then engine front is under the companion way ladder behind a plywood panel.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2007
Live to Sail

HatterasJack is on a distinguished road
Denise030,
I'm not an expert but I beleive you have more going on with your pickup than the impeller. Sounds like either a restriction or vacume is preventing water from priming pump! I have a yanmar and have never experienced a problem with the pump except for a clog or a exhalst elbow getting restricted. Sorry I can't offer any more than that. HatteresJack
Old 09-15-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Maybe try just barely breaking the seal on the cover of the raw water pump impeller. If you have an air lock preventing the pump from priming, then the air will be relieved through the break in the cover seal. Don't go to crazy, or you will have to replace the gasket on the pump cover lid.

It would be possible to get an air lock, but if you have a globe impeller it should be able to pull water before burning out. You might have a bigger issue.
Old 09-16-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Denise,
Stupid question........ Did you check the inlet seacock??? Open or closed? If you didn't, maybe the yard help changed it without you knowing for some reason.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-16-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Are you assuming you have no flow due to no water coming out of the wet exhaust? If this is the case, the first time we opened up the raw water system, drained it and restarted it, patience was key. It took a good 20 seconds before the pump completely primed and water started egressing the wet exhaust.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 09-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't put a check valve in the line, since a check valve increases the work the engine water pump has to do to get water into the engine—not generally a good idea.

Also curious, but why did you not close the raw water intake on the boat before hauling it???

As the others have said, it should self-prime, and if it isn't self priming, then you've probably got something else going on.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-16-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

Will working on it later on.. there is water in the RW intake and it doesn't seem to be restricted but I plan of check all that. Thanks all.

my current "project"!
Old 09-16-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Denise...

It happens to my ship all the time.

Take the hose off the engine side of your seawater pump, and let the water squirt in, then shut the seacock again.

Reconnect the hose and you'll be fine.... well, it works for me, anyway.

It will run fine until you lift the boat out again.... it sound like that is ofetn, if you have a trailer sailer.
Old 09-16-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

OH well... It's the pump.. at the very least it needs to be rebuilt. the plate that covers the impeller is so worn the water just passes around it. the PO used screws that were too long also, so they didn't tighten the cover plate and the water just dripped out the bottom. then when we took it off the shaft seal on the inside is dripping into the engine.. Geeze why don't i just use an electric pump??? (because it would fail ) Thank you all for your input!

my current "project"!