davideureka is on a distinguished road
i use dryer sheets put them in cusions and in cabinets
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windermere View Post
Fantastic, thanks RichH, I'm so glad it can be done! Here's another one for you...how do I get the black mildew color off the fiberglass, non skid looking headliner inside?! I've tried everything including peroxide, I think. Is our only hope repainting it?

Mildew can leach back thru paint. It's hard to find, but spray it with some
X-14 and it should dissappear.
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/x14.html
If you decide to paint it, this primer is supposed to prevent leaching of the mildew.
http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=22
Old 09-19-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
preventing mildew

An effective way to prevent more mildew from growing in your boat is to ensure adequate ventilation.

In a previous boat I added a louver to one of the companionway hatch boards and cut a hole in a forward opening hatch to accommodate a solar-powered Nicro ventilator, operating to blow air into the boat (these fans can be run either way).

It not only prevents mildew formation but also rides the boat of that nasty toilet smell you often encounter on first opening after several days' absence.
Old 09-20-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Wind - try this too... go to this website and even get a coupon for $2.00 off the first bottle.

It is called Moldzyme - these things work and they work good!

http://www.ecodiscoveries.com/

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There's also a new spray that was recently introduced that is designed to prevent mold and mildew on hard surfaces. While it isn't good for mattresses and upholstered items, it is a good thing to use to help prevent mold and mildew from spreading in a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-20-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"how do I get the black mildew color off the"
There is no "black mildew color". That stuff IS THE MILDEW FUNGUS/SPORES and you need to remove it all, either chemically or mechanically. Bleach, steam cleaning, hydrogen peroxide, 3M Scrubbing pads....

And if all that fails, you entomb it in epoxy paints.

After all the cleaning is done, remember that the mildew WILL COME BACK unless you take steps to make sure the boat is kept warmer, drier, and well ventilated at all times.
Old 09-24-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Oh I totally forgot. Ozone kills bacteria and mold dead.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']XT-2000[/FONT]

This is worth its weight in gold, or you can make one from a very simple plan I have if you're feeling fancy with a neon transformer, a couple of glass jars, stainless steel mesh and some wire.

run it about 2 hours a week and you'll never have a smelly boat again. Don't run it too much necause the nitrogen oxide can kill the process and make people sick.

Old 09-25-2007

thekeip is on a distinguished road
What you do is rent or make an Ozone generator. This is a device that hotels and car dealers use to get rid of any and all unpleasant odors. You plug it in for a few hours, having first opened all lockers. Don't hang around and breathe the smell...like fresh air after a lightning storm...it's toxic in quantity. But Ozone kills ALL spores.
howard keiper
Old 09-25-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Parts list and costs:
Neon Transformer, 5KV to 7KV $45.00 from a repair store for signs
Solder
1 square foot of window glass $5
2 square feet of stainless steel mesh $16.00 or copper mesh $3.00, divided
5 gallon bucket
duct tape
less than 80CFM fan $5

Solder mesh to output of neon transformer.
Hot Glue mesh to glass, leaving a TINY space between glass and mesh. leave a 2" ring of glass around the mesh (in other words, dont cut the mesh as big as the glass, make it smaller)

Plug in and test (DON'T for God's sake touch anything that is plugged in!!) If there is a light hum and blue glow from it, you are good to go. If you get a yellow or white arc, then you are arcing and need to isolate that section.

Now to make a fan powered unit for forcing it around, place the generator in a 5 gallon bucket, tape the top off and secure everything so it doesn't shift around.
Cut a hole for exhaust and one that is the size of your small computer fan or desk fan.
It is very important you don't make the fan run too fast. 80 CFM is barely a breeze felt on your hand. Think about a CPU fan on your PC. That's about right. If the air flow is too fast, it introduces Nitrogen Oxides into the air!

That's my plan, it works great. I'll get photos if I remember when I'm out at the boat next time. Run it for no more than 2 hours every few weeks for a good mildew and smell control. It even killed the smoke smell from my brother when he was aboard!

Stainless mesh lasts longer; you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking down after a few months of use. Watch it for arcing - if the glass is too thin (the mesh panels are too close together) it actually fries holes right through the glass. That's why I said look for colors, because they are the first indication you have an arc... well that and the sound. You should get a nice hum not a buzz.

Last edited by Lancer28; 09-25-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling, what else?
Old 09-25-2007

mygirls66 is on a distinguished road
on my last boat I took our cushions to to the drycleaner...seemed to work.