SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Can I remove the babystay and the engine? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/36888-can-i-remove-babystay-engine.html)

hkg4237 09-17-2007 11:23 AM

Can I remove the babystay and the engine?

I got a Yamaha 30, and I use a for club races. I found the babystay makes spinnaker gybing very unconvenient.:( If i remove it what will be the influence? Will the mast break more easily? :confused:

On the other hand, it's difficult for me to find a feathering propella here, so I want to remove the 16hp Yanma diesel engine and the propella, instead installing an outboard engine. But my friend told me if I remove the engine, the CE of the boat will change, and makes it can't go upwind, is it true?:confused:

Gary M 09-17-2007 12:35 PM

I am not familiar with your boat but the baby stay performs two functions. It is used to pull the mid portion of the mast forward which flattens the mainsail. Also if your mast is a fairly flexible section then it may "pump" that is bounce forward and aft in the mid section when you are beating into chop of wave action. The baby stay can be tensioned to eliminate this pumping.
So you can try sailing in these conditions and see if your mast is pumping, if not then you may be able to get a way without a babystay. You can try some backstay tension which will likely pull the mast head backwards which will result in the mid portion bowing forward which may stop any movement.

It is fairly common for sailors to remove their babystay. I have a similar 30 footer an S2 9.1 which has a babystay. As far as I know everyone with one has taken it off the

As to the Yanmar, there are a great engine and I would recomend leaving it in. You should be able to find a folding prop some where.

Good Luck
Gary

JomsViking 09-17-2007 01:42 PM

Unless the mast profile is relatively small, it probably won't pump, however as it must be a masthead rig? it might be your only way to adjust how much the mast bends. Backstay tension won't change that on a masthead rig (but only how much the forestay sags). How much does that engine weigh? Making the boat lighter will probably give you better light wind performance, but remember to leave the outboard on the dock when racing (you don't want it on the transom then). I'd leave it (the Yanmar) there, as it probably will affect your rating removing it?

Faster 09-17-2007 02:16 PM

Put a quick connecting fitting on your babystay and remove it for the downwind legs, re attach for the beats if it's deemed necessary.

Leave the engine unless it doesn't run.... if you have the forward engine model you will really disturb the trim by taking it out and hanging an outboard on the transom. Also the Y30 is a fairly tall boat, so using an outboard effectively is going to require some fairly involved brackets/mounts. You'll likely spend more on the motor and mods than you would on a good folding prop (there's always mail order/on-line shopping)

Aside from that hanging outboards on boats that didn't originally have them is just plain ugly.(JMO, of course)

tdw 09-17-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkg4237 (Post 193874)
I got a Yamaha 30, and I use a for club races. I found the babystay makes spinnaker gybing very unconvenient.:( If i remove it what will be the influence? Will the mast break more easily? :confused:

On the other hand, it's difficult for me to find a feathering propella here, so I want to remove the 16hp Yanma diesel engine and the propella, instead installing an outboard engine. But my friend told me if I remove the engine, the CE of the boat will change, and makes it can't go upwind, is it true?:confused:

While I'm not familiar with the Yamaha if the babystay is there instead or forward lowers then you should not remove it. On the other hand if you have both forward and aft lowers then the BS is only there fo rig tune so could be safely removed going downhill. You'd probably want to rig up a Highfield lever to make the process simpler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highfield_lever

Our boat (Van De Stadt 34') has both a babystay and an inner forestay. While we leave the babystay permanently attached (no forward lowers) the inner forestay is removeable and is tensioned by the aforementioned lever. (how it works I have no idea as the lever is being fitted to the new rig that goes in this week. currently it's done by a rigging screw which is unsatisfactory on a number of levels.)

BTW, you do really mean a babystay don't you ? Not an inner forestay ?