Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-18-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Windex 10 Sport Windvane

I just received a new Windex 10 Sport windvane for my birthday. The installation seems very simple, however the instructions don't mention how to determine which angle to set the tacking tabs at. All the instructions say is something like "Set the tacking tabs at an angle between 45 and 65 degrees." I'm assuming the angle corresponds with how well the boat points/sails to wind, but how do I determine the right angle for my particular boat? Or does it even really matter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I just received a new Windex 10 Sport windvane for my birthday. The installation seems very simple, however the instructions don't mention how to determine which angle to set the tacking tabs at. All the instructions say is something like "Set the tacking tabs at an angle between 45 and 65 degrees." I'm assuming the angle corresponds with how well the boat points/sails to wind, but how do I determine the right angle for my particular boat? Or does it even really matter?
The tacking tabs should be set depending on your boats pointing capabilities.

It can vary from 65 to 50º.

On my boat they are set at 50º.

These should be set on normal boats at 60º for cruisers or 55º for race boats.

Rember they point apparent wind.

What boat is yours?
Old 09-18-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
If you carefully read the instructions, they tell you ''all" the angles that can be determined by the tail and the tabs. It is a very clever design and very few take advantage of it.
Old 09-18-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Given the size and relative speed of your boat, I would suggest that somewhere around 60 degrees should work well for you. Even if you don't get it perfect, as tigerregis points out, read how to use the instrument properly and it will still tell you all that you need to know once you get used to the normal tail to square positions for various wind speeds and wave conditions. The next step is to add teletales to the leading edge of your jib.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Mine on the old IOR design (long J measurement) was set for 60 degrees, but I could regularly "feather" a bit higher than that in the right conditions, to about 55-56, and I have neither a "race" bottom nor new sails on that boat. A simple way to determine this is to put a straw with a piece of tape glued to the top. Insert the straw into a piece of cardboard and affix to the deck where the apparent wind can get at it. Draw a baseline that is parallel to the boat's beam, and then draw angles on the cardboard using a protractor. As seen from above, you'll see the same thing as your windex, except that deck gear might interfere with the air flow. Probably the best place to put it would be on the pulpit, I guess...send the bow person forward to stick their head around the forestay to observe the luffing point!