Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-19-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Epoxy won't cure. Help!

I've been applying epoxy paste as a patch/sealer to a few fiberglass areas on my hull and deck. Some of the epoxy paste I applied this weekend won't cure. It remains sticky/tacky. I'm fairly certain I mixed the two parts together sufficiently because most of the areas I applied the paste to during the same application have cured solid. Why won't some of the areas cure? What should I do? Can I apply something that will cause it to cure even after the initial application? Or should I use something (acetone?) to try and remove it and re-apply?

The only explanation I can come up with is that the mineral spirits that were applied to a few of the areas for initial clean-up/surface prep wasn't fully evaporated when I applied the epoxy and is now keeping it from curing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it hasn't cured, you can generally remove the uncured epoxy using either denatured alcohol or vinegar, depending on what epoxy you used. Then wash the area down with acetone, and re-mix and apply after it is completely dry.

I wouldn't try getting it to cure by applying anything to it, since it will likely cause just the outermost layers to cure, and the interior will still be uncured. That will make the repair worthless in terms of physical strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2007

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Agree with Sailingdog. I suspect you didn't get it mixed completely. You might try a heat gun/hair dryer first but don't get it too hot. I would just clean it out and do it over.
Old 09-19-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
West Systems estimates 75% of failures involving its products can be traced to inadequate mixing. The shape and size of the container or stirring stick can make the difference, as can the pattern of motions you use. Blending ingredients is incredibly complex business.

The rule with two-part epoxies is to mix until you are absolutely, positively, 100% certain you have a perfect stir -- then mix another 3 minutes. Scrape the bottom. Scrape the sides. Reverse directions. Pull the bottom up, push the top layer down. Change sticks; stir some more. Don't use your stirring stick to apply.

Yah, your symptoms almost definitely indicate poor mixing. It happens to everyone.
Old 09-19-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Thorough mixing is important. But in this case, another likely culprit is hardener-to-resin ratio. Make certain you have your ratios correct. I have heard of instances where the pumps were inadvertantly reversed. Double check those, and triple check the calibration by mixing the two-parts in a graduated container.

But definitely remove the uncured batch and start over as per Sailing Dog et al. Unless by chance you are in a very cold climate?
Old 09-19-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
From reading his post, I get the feeling he is referring epoxy putty. The stuff that comes in a tube. That stuff is a different animal.
Old 09-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If he's talking about MarineTex or some other two-part putty, then incomplete mixing is still a common problem. With the two-part 1:1 resin/hardener putties that come in tubes, it is pretty hard two screw up the mixing, since the color changes, but contaminating it with mineral spirits or having the wrong ratio of hardener to resin can still cause major problems.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-20-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Ah, I see now. I thought he had mixed up a batch of epoxy and made it into paste by adding micro balloons or colloidal silica powder or some such. Personally, I would not use Marine-Tex or similar for the project he described, but maybe I misunderstood what he's doing.
Old 09-20-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I think of Marine-Tex as nautical Bondo. It's worked well for me in that type of application, particularly where I want a white finish.

Currently at 38 20 10 N 76 27 42 W , Solomons, MD

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-20-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I am just guessing from what I read that he is using epoxy putty. It could well be epoxy mixed into a paste. I have never had epoxy resin fail to cure.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.