Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
I forgot to tell you, the two top ones are Harken, and their references are the numbers you see if you save the photos, the Lewmars have the references if you click the links.
The image names didn't work for the 2nd set (049 and 052, respectively), but did work for the 1st solution and the spring.

Quote:
All of them have ratchet features, that allow you to ratchet the main block sheave, so you only cleat when needed...COOOOOOL
*Drool* :P

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
sent you a pm
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
sent you a pm
Got it and replied already. Thanks, Alex.

Question about the 60mm Lewmar fiddle blocks as opposed to the "butter smooth" Harken recommendation (your 2nd recommendation - the one with triple sheaves): The Lewmar will tame the mainsheet as well or better?

What size mainsheet line should I put on these?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-21-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Actually it amazes me how many boats seem to have undersized blocks etc for things such as the main sheet.

We had a similar problem to your's (slightly bigger boat , 34') and what we have done is go to a triple setup (just like Alex has suggested) for the main sheet then we are using the old two block system main sheet setup to replace our old single block vang setup.

A relatively inexpensive fix, leaving us with equipment that Ms Wombat will find much much easier to use and also easier for me if I'm single handing. Smiles all round. (I hope anyway, cos we don't get her back from the yard until next week with her bright shiny new rigging, yeehah.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Got it and replied already. Thanks, Alex.

Question about the 60mm Lewmar fiddle blocks as opposed to the "butter smooth" Harken recommendation (your 2nd recommendation - the one with triple sheaves): The Lewmar will tame the mainsheet as well or better?

What size mainsheet line should I put on these?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, I think you will get less effort from the triple block arragment, as the purchasse is higher 6:1 with the triple and 4:1 with the fiddle.

However, with the triple you will need to pull more sheet to get the same movement out of the boom, whereas with the fiddle the purchase is lower, but you will get more movement of the boom with less sheet.

I prefer the fastest method, with the fiddle, but its only a question of preference. So what I did, to compensate for the increased effort I suggested 80mm fiddle instead of the 60mm. But the 60mm will be fine and enough.

The reference for the Harken triple with ratchet and cleat and cam is: Harken 1556
The simple triple block on the boom is Harken 1546. Please note these are normal blocks, not carbo or Black Magic.

You will do with 8 or 10mm sheet fine, whatever that is in inches...
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
I prefer the fastest method, with the fiddle, but its only a question of preference. So what I did, to compensate for the increased effort I suggested 80mm fiddle instead of the 60mm.
Understood. I imagine that "fastest" becomes very important for smooth gybes? I'm currently thinking the 80mm Lewmar may be the ideal compromise.

Quote:
You will do with 8 or 10mm sheet fine, whatever that is in inches...
Very well. Thanks.

Jim
Old 09-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
... we are using the old two block system main sheet setup to replace our old single block vang setup.
That I need not worry about, as our vang is already a double-block system .

Jim
Old 09-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Garhauer also makes a nice setup for what you're doing, and probably at prices lower than the Harken or Lewmar gear. Garhauer is stock on several boat lines, including Catalina now.

BTW, depending on how high the traveller is mounted, inverting the cam cleats may or may not be useful. For Giu's boat, where the traveller is mounted on the cockpit sole, it makes a lot of sense to invert it, since you'd have to drop to your knees to cleat it otherwise. On your boat, if the traveller is mounted on the bridgedeck or cabintop, it may make more sense to leave the cam cleats upright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-21-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First of all, bigger sheets will make the problem worse as they increase friction and grip in the cleat and are unnecessary. As folks have suggested going to ball bearing blocks will help. You might want to go to a 5:1 set up would help as well. (6:1 is too much purchase for the P-30). Using a hexratchet on the last turn also gives you a chance to play the sheet.
Old 09-21-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Finally a thread I can learn something from.
Good post and good responses. Thanks fellow Sailnetters.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White