Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Hey Jim, as ice will be setting in in Michigan in a week or two .... why not wait until offer the winter, you'll get a better deal.
Nah, there won't be ice around here for quite some time. We've got better than a month of fall sailing yet to go . The club's "mass haulout" isn't until the weekend of Nov. 3.

It occurred to me in the shower just a bit ago that this mainsheet problem is more than a speed or convenience issue. It's a safety issue, as well. If we ever have to quickly dump the main when we're headed upwind, and can't get it out of that cleat...

Gotta fix this.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007

6string is on a distinguished road
Jim

Harken is based in Pewaukee, WI. You could call them direct and order from them and have it delivered tomorrow so you can get this done this weekend. I am a bit partial to Harken being that I only live 10 miles away. I have used their equipment for over 30 years with rarely a problem.

Your cleat issue is a problem. The teeth can be part of the trouble. The other is what angle you can pull on the sheet to release it. It should easily pop out when you give a slight jerk on it. Take a look here on sailnets site at the harken ball bearing cam cleat. http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info...20cam%20cleats

Note how the cams are rounded to ease setting the sheet into the cleat. Also note that the teeth are not so deep. This cleat works great for what you are doing here. I have a dozen of these on my C scow which has a 200+ sq ft main sail. I have used them on E scows and A scows with much larger main sails as well.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Jim

Harken is based in Pewaukee, WI. You could call them direct and order from them and have it delivered tomorrow so you can get this done this weekend.
And I'd pay for it in a major way, too . Harken would no doubt charge MSRP and the overnight shipping would be a big hit. I appreciate the lead, but I think I'm just going to relax and take this a bit more slowly.

Quote:
I am a bit partial to Harken being that I only live 10 miles away. I have used their equipment for over 30 years with rarely a problem.
Can't say as a blame you . I think I'd be partial to Harken if they were only 10 miles from me, as well. Heck, if Harken was only 10 miles from me, this'd be done by now.

Quote:
Your cleat issue is a problem. The teeth can be part of the trouble.
There is no doubt that the teeth on that cleat is part of the problem. They're far-and-away the most aggressive teeth I've seen on any cam cleat so far. But remember: The cleat's not the only problem. Even when we can get the sheet out of the cleat: We often can't do anything with it other than ease it--which is usually just the opposite of what we're wanting to do when beating into the wind.

Quote:
The other is what angle you can pull on the sheet to release it. It should easily pop out when you give a slight jerk on it.
The angle is part of it, too, I'm sure. I think that even after we replace our blocks and line, I'll be wanting to pull up to release, pull down to cleat.

Trust me: The sheet will not come free, under high load, even if you give it a strong downward yank, much less a "slight jerk." One time the other day I sharply yanked that sheet as quickly and as hard as I could, several times, and it didn't budge. I actually briefly considered "stomping" on the sheet to free it, but thought "Okay, Jim, let's say you succeed. Then what?" As somebody mentioned in another thread not long ago: If you have to use excessive force, something ain't right, and applying more force is only likely to break something (further).

Jim
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
I agree too - mainsheet is weak. You need more purchase on that sucker, especially on a boat that size.

I've got an unmanageable Jib sheet... I'll post it in a new thread.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've got an aggressive cam cleat on my Lewmar mainsheet block as well - hard to yank down without FIRST pulling the sheet out while simultaneously yanking the line down. That's the key - otherwise the teeth will continue to clinch tight.

It's unlikely wind loading on a 30 footer's main will make the rigging THAT difficult to handle.
Old 09-21-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I've got an aggressive cam cleat on my Lewmar mainsheet block as well - hard to yank down without FIRST pulling the sheet out while simultaneously yanking the line down. That's the key - otherwise the teeth will continue to clinch tight.
It's unlikely wind loading on a 30 footer's main will make the rigging THAT difficult to handle.
TB - Don't forget that we have End Boom Sheeting which gives us more leverage. Heck in light winds we could just reach forward and move the boom by hand - try that in the middle or up where the vang attaches and you would get swept overboard.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
TB - Don't forget that we have End Boom Sheeting which gives us more leverage. Heck in light winds we could just reach forward and move the boom by hand - try that in the middle or up where the vang attaches and you would get swept overboard.
Me too..I have end boom sheet...I would not, however, dare to do it by hand...
Old 09-21-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Jim: Could be the cordage that's partly to blame. Since we have preferred set points on our sheets, esp sailing close-hauled, the same section of rope gets cleated again and again, This can lead to fuzzing and 'flat spots' in braided (kernmantel) sheets. The softer the rope, the more aggressively your cleat will grip it. A nice stiff sheet is easier to get in and out of cams. Climbers are forever trimming the ends off their ropes; the last 6 feet get soft in time, and you can't untie your harness knot!

Swapping ends of your mainsheet might give you a fresh, stiff cord to work with.
Old 09-21-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
One problem could be the possibility that the sheet you are using is a tad to large for the blocks.
Proper sizing & matching the line to the blocks is most important. Also using a line size that is comfortable to your hands. So you may want to go up a size or two in the blocks for that comfortable fit.
Old 09-21-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
As I understand it, The PO moved the block location to mid boom. As you are witnessing there is exponensially more load the further you go toward the boom. Make sure the PO installed a connection point in the boom that can take all that added point load!! Or you may find your new blocks on the sole.

Wayne