Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2007

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Gps

I am looking to by one. There seems to be a wide variety of models from cheap handheld to overpriced stationary. Any suggestions on model, what features to look for? I do not sail far: 1 - 2 days, so I do not need world map coverage. I sail from Channel Islands harbor in South California.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Garmin Network capable, you could go as small as 3205 and still add on radar and xm weather when you're ready, won't break the bank either

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-24-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
The answer really depends on how you want to navigate with GPS. If you normally navigate with paper charts, and you want to continue to do so, then the chart display capability is less important, so the unit could be smaller and cheaper.
I started with a Garmin Etrex Vista hand held, and still use if for data logging (easier to take home or below to download). Then I have an old Philips that drives a Yeoman plotter (I like paper charts). The third, an MLR, is just there to feed the NMEA link. I take a TomTom 910 for trips ashore. But still don't have a chart plotter.
If you want a chart plotter, then go for what you can afford, bigger and brighter is better - but check the screen resolution too, more pixels on a smaller screen is better than fewer pixels on a larger one. But it has to be bright to see in sunlight and that means expensive - have a look at http://www.panbo.com/
Old 09-24-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the idea of reduncdancy and the idea of multifunction displays.

With GPSs pretty cheap you probably can afford a small handheld for a back up.

The MFD concept allows easy firmware upgrades so the unit is more like a PC where you can load new software, operating systems and upgrades. You can also add transducers to the MFD so it can become a very complex integrated data management and display. Of course when the MFD goes down, it puts you in the dark for all the data. The overlays on charts is quite handy and makes radar reading a lot "easier".

The Raymarine C series has a good display as do the Garmins. I find their menu commands counter intuitive and you often have to drill down through menus to find something. Maybe I'm a slow learner, but years on I still have trouble with it.

Getting all devices talking can require some lifting and some supplementary network devices... but when you get it to work... it's quite impressive.

Since we sail from the cockpit and not below you need to consider where all the data is most useful. I rarely use the helm as I have a below decks autopilot and so a helm mounting for me would hardly be seen as I don't hang out behind the helm.

I discovered how useful a gps plotter is in the cockpit and I use a Garmin IQue 3600 PDA which provides a clear little picture (plotter with bluecharts). I also use it ashore for auto navigation. The below decks MFD is mostly for planning and is visible from the companionway for collision avoidance (radar AIS etc.).

If you have a crew member who can deal with data and you can deal with sailing this all could result in a different approach. Mine approach is geared toward singlehanded sailing.

jef
sv shiva
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A self-contained unit, like the Garmin 440 series might be a good choice, and a good deal less money than the 3205. However, it doesn't allow you to add radar like the 3205 would. If you have a smaller boat, then mounting it on a swing arm might allow you to use the same unit at the nav station and in the cockpit.

While the 3205 is a nice unit, I think the screen is a bit too small to effectively work as a multi-function display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-24-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
What is your budget?

Hello,

You can buy a real cheap unit that just provides LAT / LONG for less than $100. You can buy the latest Raymarine system with integrated radar, TV, sonar, etc. for $10,000.

For $500 you can buy a Lowrance unit with a high resolution 5" color screen, detailed charts for the entire US, etc.

For me, I want at least a 5" screen, color, detailed charts. I don't need radar or XM radio / weather capability. I do want NMEA 0183 in / out for connection to a DSC radio. I don't need it to be portable, just easily installed and removed.

Garmin makes great units but they are pricey. My last two units have been Lowrance and I am very happy with them. Raymarine makes good stuff, but it is even more expensive than Garmin.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 09-24-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
While the 3205 is a nice unit, I think the screen is a bit too small to effectively work as a multi-function display.
I agree, nice unit but small, I opted for the 3206 to start, once I have the weather and radar installed, I'll see how it works out, I may then move the 06 to the nav station and put a 10 at the helm

On the Hale Kai, we have a E120 and it's like having a big screen TV in front of you,............... too big me thinks

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-24-2007

Drylander is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your replies. I think I'll opt for a cheap handheld device:
1) I like my charts on paper;
2) I make short trips;
3) The only time I really need GPS would be to get back in a fog or at night.

I guess what I am looking for is a handheld device with some basic information like coastal line and shipping lanes. Handhelds I looked so far do not have this - they just have a few waypoints...
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Drylander-

A Garmin 76Cx with BlueChart would be able to do that.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007

Well, a 3005 or 3205 isn't much more dollar wise and not much bigger than a handheld, but the options and expandability are greater.

Just a thought