Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
deck paint or coating choices

I have a 1978 Newport 17. I paid $1200 for it and the trailer is worth most of that. It is a sound sailboat, but it show its age, especially on the deck. The reason I mention its age, price and condition is because I wanted to be clear that I am not trying to restore an old classic beauty or working with something that will ever be of great value.

There are a fair number of non structural cracks in the gel coat of the deck. My thinking is to clean/scour the deck, lightly sand around cracks, "paint" the cracked areas with thin epoxy and then coat the deck.

Looking at the available options for coating, there is one major decision point to dispense with first - I don't think I want to use gel coat. It seems like there is more expense and expertise required and less than universal agreement about how well it adheres to epoxy anyway. So I am thinking paint. What kind? I don't want to spend too much and I don't want something that requires a lot of equipment or expertise. Is there a reason you can't spray paint? I am talking about a good grade of Krylon or whatnot, not the 88 cent stuff from the super center. Rolling is mentioned sometimes, but I don't see how you would get into the inside corners or around the outside corners well. I really don't want brush marks, so I think spray seems like the best choice. But is there really a reason it needs to be the high end stuff delivered through a spray system as opposed to chemically similar paint in a rattle can?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
I have used a single component polyurethane paint by Petit (Easypoxy) on the topside of a 14' Javelin and 22' Catalina. You could probably find this product at a local marine store. Essentially sanded down the old paint, placed epoxy where needed and brushed on the single part paint. The paint seems to be holding OK and I wasn't looking for a bristol finish just something to make it look clean. I am not sure about spray paint from a can. Hope that helps. -Joe
Old 09-24-2007

That sounds promising; what kind of brush? Did it leave brush marks?

I am not sure about spray paint either, which is why I asked the brain trust here. Just to be clear, if I were to explore that option, I am thinking about paint that explicitly lists fiberglass and that is an all weather exterior paint; possibly something from an auto parts store, not cheap "cover anything but your bar bill" paint. If I used spray, it would be about convenience. There might be money savings compared to buying paint and a sprayer, but compared to just buying paint, the spray would probably be more expensive.
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Arbarnhart-

You don't need to use a sprayer to get a good finish. Spraying requires that you mask the surrounding area off, and that can often be more work than just painting with a roller and brush IMHO. I've also used the Petit Easypoxy paint and it does a decent job, but isn't as good as the two-part LPU paints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Petite Easypox or Interlux Brightside are both signal part epoxies and both will do a pretty good job. Typically people use the roll and tip method. You use a good quality roller and then immediately go over it very lightly with a good quality bristle brush to get rid of the roller "orange peel".

I have used this method for waterlines in dark colurs and it came out pretty well. On a deck in a lighter colour you should be happy with it. Single part paints do not stand up as well as two parts but for your application I think you will be happy with it.
You may have to use the approriate thinner to get it to level properly, expecialy if it is a lower temp day.
Gary
Old 09-24-2007

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Andy

I painted the deck and cockpit of a Laser this summer using Interlux Brightsides one part polyurtethane. Used roll/tip method with foam 4 inch roller and foam bruch for tipping. Corners were not much of a problem since they are rounded.

The paint has held up well and the ver very old looking laser now looks quite nice. Pics of the project can be seen at http://laserproject.angelfire.com

I agree with Sailingdog. Spraying for that project is more bother than is worth. If was a sailing yacht and you were doing topsides than spraying is worth it if you have an experienced painter do the spraying.

Note I used the interlux one part primer prior to applying Brightsides. One quart brightsides (approx $35) and one quart primer (also approx $35) will do the job.
Mike

Full Tilt 2
Old 09-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If you want to spend a bit more for something that will stand up for years, take a look at the Interlux Perfection 2 part system which you can also roll and tip with great results. It still costs less tha $50 bucks for a quart and will stand up better to wear and tear and sun than a 1 part solution.
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/produc...perfection.asp
Old 09-24-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
I'm getting some samples of this flown in this week. Looks like an interesting product. The owner just told me that since it is water-based, it can be tinted to any color you like........

http://www.kiwigrip.com/index.html
Old 09-24-2007

So how much paint do I need? The boat is roughly 18' long and about 6.5' at the widest. Here are a couple of deck shots of one in great shape (what mine might look like when done):

Old 09-24-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
So how much paint do I need? The boat is roughly 18' long and about 6.5' at the widest. Here are a couple of deck shots of one in great shape (what mine might look like when done):

I'd buy a gallon of it and 3 new empty quart paint cans to store the remainder in. Seal the cans well, drip some molten wax along the seams and then remember to turn them upside down once a month or so........