Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Rocna 40 didn't Set!!!

A buddy of mine called and said we should take Friday off and go have lunch on Block Island. So we get into great salt pond and headed over to the east side near the private moorings. Drop the Rocna 40 (88lbs) and about 120' of rode. Back down and it's like the anchor never hit the bottom. Up it comes and we try again. Same thing. Now I'm getting pissed off. This anchor is not suppose to do that. I have always got the anchor to set on the first try. I know there were some weeds on the bottom cause the anchor brought some up but with this big a hook I didn't expect that. I need to get my expectations in line. This was a reality check for sure.

Third time was the charm and lunch at the oar was great way to spend a workday.
2007 Hunter 49
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Third time was the charm because you found a clear patch.

Please regale us next week with more of your dangerous risk-taking adventures.........
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dave-

You set any anchor down on enough seaweed...it ain't gonna set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Delta Fastset
Old 09-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Dave-

You set any anchor down on enough seaweed...it ain't gonna set.
Ding. My Dad taught me about the Eel Grass we have in California. Walk way out on the reefs at minus low tides and the grass is is just laying there in 4" to 7" thick mats. It was hard enough to wiggle your hand down through it and touch rock.

Think of it like you were trying to plow a room full of dense carpet.....
Old 09-24-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
At least it set..

Many, many folks can't get anchors to set there no matter how many times they try. Two failed attempts with a Rocna is better than the many folks I've seen motor off to find a mooring in frustration. The bottom of the GSP is as thick as golf course grass in areas. The last time I went through there I was on a friends boat with a 45lb CQR that even after 12 attempts never set. We finally pulled out his huge Danforth and after multiple attempts got a set. It was not a good night on the hook worrying about a wind shift and possibly not re-setting...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-24-2007

"Warning! A recall has just been issued for every Rocna anchor ever built. Please do not attempt to use your Rocna ANY MORE until Mr. Smith and company can get around to pulling up and removing all existing weed beds in the continental U.S., Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Using your Rocna before that is accomplished can/will result in YOUR DEATH AND LOSS OF VESSEL!"...........
Old 09-24-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Now I KNOW it was the Rocna on the 3rd boat over that cause the pizza we had delivered to be cold when it arrived. Never did trust such a high priced anchor... now I have cold pizza...
Old 09-24-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I think we should all start a thread any time our anchor doesn't set. Paleeze!?!
Old 04-15-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
I've been anchoring the the Great Salt Pond in Block Island for over 25 years, on both danforths (including a Fortress) and a CQR. If you can get to the east of the private moorings in less than 6' at low tide, you can get a set more easily than if you are to the north and west of the private moorings. There is a notoriously bad holding area there that is comprised of weeds in a soft bottom. You can identify it on a busy weekend by the open water, as you watch folks repeatedly get a set and give up. It gets even more interesting when the wind picks up, especially if there is a wind shift. Don't ask how I know.

I have had a small danforth hold in an unexpected 50kt breeze on the east end of the pond and have had a larger CQR drag on a windshift at 25 kts, but that was in the "bad" area and I was up in the wee hours keeping an anchor watch, as were a lot of my neighbors. I don't think a Rocna or Manson would have done any better. I had a sizeable danforth high tensile and a medium Fortress in reserve, but didn't have much confidence in that either, knowing the bottom conditions. There were many boats with various anchors that failed to hold or reset when the wind picked up in this area. I was not alone, with frequent visits to the neighborhood by the towboat operators.

What's the lesson? Get a mooring if you are in a questionable area (if you can.). If you are not getting a set after 3 attempts, you are missing the message. There is a similar area in Newport (RI) harbor, where you will see a hole in the anchorage on the busiest of days. I don't know what the bottom is for sure, but it seemed like "black mayonnaise": weeds were not the issue. When you find yourself in this kind of situation, you'd better have a "plan B" that includes moving to another location.

For what it's worth, I've been able to get a CQR to hold reliably in a soft bottom, but you have to plow it deep. This doesn't work if you are in close quarters, because you have to back down a ways. The only problem with this situation is hauling it up the next morning, when it is more than 4 ft down in the mud. After a couple of these events I installed a windlass!

When it comes to anchors, there is no magic solution, but experience and local knowledge makes a difference, regardless of your anchor type.