Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2000

Lusk is on a distinguished road
Fuel tank problems

I have been experiencing a bug/water problem in my fuel tank. To late I started using a biocide. Now I have dead bugs in my tank which continually fill the bowl in my Racor unit. The access into the fuel tank is only about the size of a silver dollar. I know I can have my tank cleaned and the fuel filtered but this requires that a larger access be installed. I do not want to go to this expense unless it is the only option.

What I want to know is if anyone knows of a way that I can get my tank reasonably clean with the existing small access hole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2000

gwilli is on a distinguished road
Fuel tank problems

When you say bugs do you mean fungus which loves diesel fuel particularly in warm climates? If it is the latter, the fungus grows on whatever the fuel touches including the air space above the fuel on the sides and top of the tank. You can kill it with biocide but the latex-like layer remains and it continues to break-up (because it''s dead) and recontaminate the fuel and plug your filter. The only recourse is to install a gasketed top access flange/door that will allow you to get your arm and/or a brush in and give the inside a good cleaning. Perhaps the nozzle of a high pressure sprayer could be inserted instead but remember the top and upper part of the tank must be hit as well. There are some industrial spin-type spray nozzles for tank cleaning that might do the trick too (Spraying Systems, Sprayco). The problem with spray down is keeping the wash down water out of the fuel (disconnect and plug) and then complete drain/pump-out and dry. We went the clean-out door route on a Westwind Vagabond 42. The moral of the story - use biocide/fuel conditioner in diesel - always!
Old 03-22-2001

seadawg13 is on a distinguished road
Fuel tank problems

I recently had similar problem. Pumped all fuel into large clean trashcan, filtered with panty hose going into and out of can.
Pumped fuel back in and installed Algea-X system. Took boat out in 30-35 kt winds, 6-8 ft seas and have no problems with clogging filters yet.
Old 03-22-2001

denforent is on a distinguished road
Fuel tank problems

AHOY fuel problem victims: There IS a solution...and surprise, it''s NOT an algeacide. What actually happens with an algecide (it KILLS existing algae) is your skeletin''s all slosh around offshore in ANY kinda waves...and work on clogging your filters! PERIOD. I use a product called Deezol.. which ELIMINIATES algae particles AND the water which enables new algae to grow by the way. OH...my fuel is SIX YEARS old since last fuel up..and is as golden as the day I put it in. My filters last THREE times longer than they used to before I started using this stuff. I buy it by the CASE now and all my boating friends are addicted! 1oz per 10 gal of fuel unless ya have a really BAD problem..then ya treat 1oz per 5 gal of fuel..it comes in quarts.. plastic no less. NEAT stuff.
Old 09-28-2006

Algaehater is on a distinguished road
Well I am having the same problem. Killed all the algae and now the floating crap clogs everything up in 10 minutes from the pickup to the raycors.
The tank is a 200 Gallon one piece fiberglass WITH BAFFLES that come from the top of the tank to about 1" from the bottom of the tank across its lenght. While there is a nice access hatch on the front of the tank you can only wash the first compartment out, the other 4 behind it are not accessible for scrubbing. I been there done that. Sucked all fuel out through a raycor with an external waterpuppy into drums, filled the tank with tons of detergent and water, scrubbed the first compartment and tried to slosh it around as much as I could but the damned tank is still a mess and I can't get out of the harbour without having to blow back through the pickup at the tank and changing the raycors. I am at the end of my rope. I am all open for suggestions.
Old 09-28-2006

essman is on a distinguished road
tank problem

The fastest and easiet way to handle your problem would probably be to hire a fuel polisher to come out and polish the fuel. It would require having a second access port into the tank, but this is generally not too big of an issue requiring a hole saw and vaccum. Generally a 2 or 3 inch hole would do it, then screw a port over the hole.
At least then you are in a known good state and the racor should handle it from there.
After that point always use a good fuel conditioner.
If the problem continues, you can install your own polishing system with just another racor, a 12 volt fuel pump, hose, and a couple of Ts. Let the polishing system run while you are just hanging out on the boat.
Good luck with it.
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, you can also let the fuel polishing system run while you're under sail... Just don't let it run the batteries down too far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2006

bobseay1 is on a distinguished road
See www.skippers-exchange.com for fuel tank cleaning info.
Old 01-19-2007
skipper Mei Poh

padeu is on a distinguished road
If there is access to the tank, even if it is small, you can pump out the tank using a small copper pipe attached to the pump used to change the engine oil. If completely empty you add some aceton to the tank and pump out again, repeat if the sludge is very dark after the first aceton wash. After cleaning fill tank again. The little remains of aceton will just disolve in the diesel fuel and will be combusted without harming the engine.

Catalina 387, hull # 0122 (2007)
Old 01-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My guess is that Deezol is just an alcohol-based additive that emulsifies the water and brings it into solution—getting rid of the water/diesel barrier that is necessary for the growth of algae. Using too much of it might be bad for the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system... Might want to check that before you go overboard with using the product too much.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.