Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2002

Benesail is on a distinguished road
Generators

I have a Beneteau 411 and am considering a generator. Mostly for peace of mind, very rarely air conditioning (Crusair 16000btu)extended coastal cruising without having to find a slip or run the engine to recharge. Have considered a small Honda 2000kw portable but don''t like the gasoline on board in its integral tank. (the dink fuel stays in the vented anchor locker)
I''d love to try the Victron sterling unit but it seems too far from release here in the states and it would require far more battery capacity. Any experience with small diesel units?
Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Generators

No matter which you chose, be careful of the venting for the exhaust. This is especially important if you went with a portable. Many people would be tempted to leave it in the cockpit where CO could accumulate in the cabin.

You might want to get a CO monitor in any case.

Noise is also an issue.

Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2002

Constantin is on a distinguished road
Generators

I''d consider getting a small diesel genset. Some like Fisher-Panda are extremely quiet (and expensive!) while others like the Balmar, Ample Power, etc. offer excellent performance but at a higher noise level (no sound shield). However, no matter what you get, it''s going to cost $$$, you will have to run it regularly, and maintenance can be expensive as well.

I have no experience with diesel generators per se but am a happy customer of Ample Power. They make a genset called the Genie which uses a proven alternator, Kubota diesel, and a smart regulator. Looks pretty off-the-shelf and reliable to me but needs sound insulation. Some packages like Panda and Balmar are potentilly more integrated into the rest of the boat electrical system.

Gensets usually also offer interfaces for hot water and water-making options. Naturally, desalinating would cut down on available power. All in all, diesel gensets are probably the way to go if you use a lot of power and have a large diesel auxiliary engine that you don''t want to run with a light load.

You may also want to consider solar panels combined with a large battery bank. This may be less expensive and less work for the same result. However, mounting, aesthetics can be an issue. Cheers!
Old 04-15-2002

Benesail is on a distinguished road
Generators

Thanks for the comments. After much consideration, I am opting for the much quieter, much less expensive route of adding another large battery for the house bank. Thanks to all.
Old 06-11-2010

nigelhenry is on a distinguished road
I also have a 411 2000 vintage her in the UK with a Fisher Pandair 4000 unit its a pain! new gen fitted to the back of the motor due to the starter dropping shards of steel from the starter dog into the generator unit !!! due to faulty starter motor I feel almost intamate with this box of trick and performed gynoclogical tasks on it due to it being under the gas locker and enter through a hatch in the rear bedroom! But I have ot say once I explained my plight to Fischer Pandair uk they rebuilt the rear of the unit and remaited it a a compleat unit so all I had to do was refit !!!! this year it has just ate the impella and stored the parts in a pipe in the sacrificial anoid so it overheated no problem one days work later as a Gynocoligist and all is well yes it is expensive 4 bits, but chunters away untill the next fight! but here is the rub I have just bought a £600 6 kva unit that is brand new in a box and comes with lots of parts manuals its diesel and it works and it quietish well no moe noisy than the fischer unit so in my New Lagoon cat its going to have a cheap thow away unit !!!! as well as 2 240v alternators as back up !!! lol

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.