Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-30-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
No, No, FullandBy, I think you have it wrong. They were not trying to beat you into the ground.

Rather, what the last few posts seem to be saying is that my earlier usage of "ceilings" is strictly speaking incorrect. The new definitions proferred seem to suggest that it is only the MATERIAL covering this area of the cabin that is known as "ceilings". So in our boat we have teak ceilings, but in your boat you have...not sure what to call it, maybe "carpet ceilings".

But that leaves the question of how to refer to this area of the cabin. All our boats have had "ceilings", so that is the terminolgy we've always used for that area. And it may be that with the advent of fibreglass hulls, that is the convention regardless of whether it is covered with wood trim (maybe that is what Jeff H was suggesting?). In any case, I still don't think we should call them "walls".

This is an interesting distinction that is being drawn, so I've learned something tonight. Thank you to those posters who called it to our attention.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-30-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2007
I grew up on this ship ..

FullandBy is on a distinguished road
hmmm interesting. So on a FG boat with no framework per se, such as ribs the ceiling terminology may not apply as it covers the framework not the inner/outer hull surface. They can't be called interior bulkheads because they don't partition anything. I agree that saying 'walls' does seem inappropriate. Maybe inner hull covering or perhaps the 'sides' to go along with the 'overhead' terminology.

cheers
Old 10-03-2007

bikeerchic is on a distinguished road
While we're on the subject...

I have a rather challenging issue with my "ceilings" as well. The PO covered the fiberglass hull with ceramic tile. It's 12"x12" sheets of 1 inch tiles. Needless to say, keeping the grout in good order is challenging. The workmanship in the v-berth and salon is pretty good but the aft cabin is horrendous. We would like to remove it and use some type of wood strips as others have described here. However, the challenge is how to tackle this job. Anyone have any ideas? Has anybody seen this before? It was new to us.
thanks!
Old 10-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
UGH.. Ceramic tile must add an awful lot of weight... how is it fastened to the fiberglass??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-03-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I did look at cork tiles at one time. They are used in kitchens and baths.