Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-26-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Garmin Display VMG's?

We have a Garmin 545s and we got it right when it came out software was 2.0 We went out racing a few weeks ago and noticed on another boats GPS it displayed VMG's Velocity Made Good to the Mark. I can't find it on our GPS, so I call Garmin they say i need a update so i get the update of there website, now my software is up to date at 2.6 now, and still can't find VMG's and now garmin is no help after several calls, I would think if we pick Navigate>go to mark it would show it, but it does not, any ideas?

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Scott-

IIRC, you need to set up the data fields to show the VMG, rather than other less important data. When you're on the GPS screen, hit the menu button and select "Edit Data Fields" or something like that... and you should then be able to select VMG as one of the fields displayed on the main screen. BTW, VMG does not give you any information unless you have a route selected with waypoints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-26-2007

Stony is on a distinguished road
I've got a GPS 478 that has VMG and have a 450 that I just bought and also was looking for VMG but have not quite sorted it out either had not heard about a software upgrade for these yet
Old 09-27-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Stony there is a upgrade for yours... https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/do...D=148&pID=8056 All you need is a SD card, walmart sells a SD card and USB reader for around $15.

Scott
Old 09-27-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Scott-

IIRC, you need to set up the data fields to show the VMG, rather than other less important data. When you're on the GPS screen, hit the menu button and select "Edit Data Fields" or something like that...
If I recall correctly: On my GPSMap 498C, I have to press and hold the "cfg" key while in map mode, and that takes me to the data fields configuration screen. (Momentarily pressing "cfg" turns the data fields on/off.)

Jim
Old 07-26-2009

Parmain is on a distinguished road
The Garmin current 400, 500, 4000, and 5000 series machines will not display VMG unless you have a wind instrument. This is a software oversight, and I understand a correction is is in the works. If you are navigating to a point, the VMG will read blanks, unless a wind instrument is present. tnx Bill
Old 07-27-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
The concept of VMG is two different things. To a race instrument system, VMG means velocity directly up or down wind. To a GPS, it usually means velocity toward the next waypoint, also called WCV (waypoint closing velocity) or SOA (speed of advance).

To truly calculate VMG for a racing sailboat, you need a wind transducer so that the true wind direction can be calculated. Someone said in another thread that they have a GPS that can approximate the direction of the true wind, but I can't see how that can work well. VMG is calculated by multiplying the speed of the boat times the cosine of the angle of the true wind relative to our bow.

So is your desire to use this as a navigation aid or as a racing aid?
Old 07-27-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
VMG to a mark, on a sailboat, using just standard GPS VMG, is worthless unless you can head straight for the mark, which is usually only possible if you're on a beam reach. Then you don't need VMG because, well, because you're headed straight for the mark, anyway . (Exception: If current is a factor.)

There is a way to use VMG on such GPS', involving setting a phantom waypoint a couple thousand miles away, on the same bearing as the waypoint. But if you want to use your GPS for actually locating the mark, you'll need two GPS'.

Jim
Old 07-27-2009

Parmain is on a distinguished road
Most better GPS units have two forms of VMG calculation available, IE Ray, Garmin, et al. With a wind instrument, VMG is calculated as JArcher describes above. With out the wind instrument, the VMG calculation is done using the anglular difference between the course (rhumb) line, and the COG. This data is then also used to calculate the TTG, ETA et al. The non wind instrument calculation is not effective for tacking decisions, but the data is not with out merit if you understand what it is telling you. This second form of VMG calculation is what Garmin accidently overlooked displaying and is correcting. Tnx Bill
Old 07-27-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Well the reason I asked the OP why he wantes to see VMG is because he mentioned racing. I'm solidly in the camp that having VMG reported is not very helpful while racing. I would prefer to see the true wind angle and velocity. Now I know if I have a shift in true wind direction or a shift in true wind velocity, which is much more useful.