Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-27-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
installing Swivel Cleats - loads and mounting?

Hey guys, I could use a hand here -

I'm getting ready to put in 2 of these to my cockpit on my 28 footer:

Should I back these with glassed-in plywood behind the fiberglass (I can reach up there from the quarter-berths no problem) or will the load going through these not be enough to pull them out? I'd also like to know which screws (or botls?) to use so I can do this right the first time and not have to go back and re-do it or have it break underway.

I am going to use these for new jib sheet cleats. The setup will be this path --> geona->turning blocks on toe rail->winches->this swivel cleat.

I am also going to add in a clutch for the sheets forward of the winch but that hasn't come in yet - I guess Ronstan is made in the land of OZ and it takes two weeks to get stuff in.

Right now, the line tie off after the winch is handled with 6" SS cleats next to the winches. I can supply pictures if you need them to assist. Those are nailed down with long stainless flat head screws backed with 3/8 plywood through the 1" thick cored-fiberglass deck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Wait - the coaming is not 1" thick there... only about 3/8 inch. My fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would put an epoxy-coated plywood backing plate on them, just in case. They shouldn't be under too much load, but why risk it.

Also, use good 1" or 1-1/4" diameter fender washers on the bolts, to protect the plywood. You don't need to glass in the plywood.

Finally, don't forget to pot the fastener holes, if they're going through a cored section of the deck. If it is solid fiberglass, don't worry about potting it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-27-2007
I'm the FNG still...

SD youre always a wealth of information, thanks.

Potting? Yarr, my noggin hurts. Is that like countersinking for a screw head, or drilling out wider than the screw and filling with high psi epoxy?

Old 09-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
potting = drilling out wider than the screw and filling with thickened epoxy.

Use collodial silica or cabosil for thickening. Also countersink top of fastener holes slightly, to allow sealant to form an "o-ring"...keeps the water out longer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-27-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Thanks again! Good thing potting didn't mean use a 150 hp mercruiser to drill the hole hahahaha!

Filling makes total sense, because I'm creating a hole in the fiberglass, it needs almost like a gelcoat" in there to keep the integrity of the dry hull.

clear as glass on that one.

Old 09-27-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer28 View Post
Filling makes total sense, because I'm creating a hole in the fiberglass, it needs almost like a gelcoat" in there to keep the integrity of the dry hull.
FWIW, the potting is to seal and protect the core, not necessarily the laminate itself, hence SD mentioning not to bother potting if the deck in that area is solid glass.

Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2007
Telstar 28

eggzackly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaley View Post
FWIW, the potting is to seal and protect the core, not necessarily the laminate itself, hence SD mentioning not to bother potting if the deck in that area is solid glass.

Good Luck!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-27-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Lancer - I'd advise AGAINST using those cleats for the purpose you intend. With the bale to trap the line over the cleat you will have a great deal of drag as the genny tries to tack over to the other side, and the sheet may well twist and jam on its way through. (it has to go through the bail AND the fairlead - it won't go cleanly.)

This will really slow down your tacks, and make it harder to sheet in the new side. Also if they are fairly close to the winch, clearing the winch wraps will be difficult as well.

At least remove the bales so that you can free the sheets completely during the tack (but the fairlead is still gonna be a problem). Typically there would be no need for the swivel function either, as the line is going to come off the winch at the same place all the time anyway.

I'm assuming you've already bought them but maybe they'd be better used elsewhere in the cockpit, on a line that has to be handled from a variety of different positions on the boat. (traveller or spin sheets maybe?)

Last edited by Faster; 09-27-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I agree with FASTER 100% that you do not want to run jibsheets thru cleats like these, it'll just add friction and an opportunity fior new hangups for no particular benefit. If you don't like cleating the sheets, then look the fast release jam cleat is what racers have used. I think its too easy to knock a sheet out of jam cleats, but pick your poison...

Ditto for clutches on the jibsheets ahead of the sheet winches. What for? I never seen clutches used in that way and can't understand what the need would be...