Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Wombat's Woes

So there we where. Complete new standing rig (oh those new rigging screws are soooo purty), rewired the mast, new nav lights, new main sheet assembly, new vang, all tuned up, furler serviced ready to rock and roll. Cast off from the dock, engage forward gear, open throttle, lots of revs but bugger all else.

Couple of the guys at the yard see we ain' goin' nowhere and come out in the work boat and tow us back in. Thank you , Thank you, Thank you.

Tie her back up and start checking. Engine goes vroom vroom, Engage gear, reassuring clunk, shaft is spinning but alas no forward motion.

Shite.

Any thoughts ? I can only presume that somehow I've lost my prop but how ?

Raven is due for a tub but her bottom doesn't look that dirty. I can't believe the prop is so full of crap that it's not doing it's job.

Wombat seriously confused. I'll get a diver down there this week to have a look (water too cold for me I'm afraid).

What a bugger, it was a seriously fine weekend (long weekend to boot) in Sydney this week.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2007

ozsailer is on a distinguished road
Hello Wombat,
I had a very similar problem on a Tasman 26 I was involved with. Got on the boat one day and she just would not power up over a knot. Same thing motor engaging - revving out but no thrust. Only just got her back on her mooring. Spoke to the local mechanic who quoted things from bent shaft to prop about to fall off. It was the middle of winter but I decided to have a look underneath myself. To my surprise there was a large build up of growth on the prop. I really did not think this would have slowed us down that much but I got a scraper and removed all the growth. This solved the problem and we were motoring back at full power.
Something so simple yet it had a major effect on the boat. Funny thing was the mechanic never mentioned that this may be the problem.
I dont know it this will help but a dive under the boat may save a lot of time and money

Greg H
Lake Macquarie
Aus
Old 10-01-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Wombat should gear up in his specially designed scuba outfit and take a look for himself - no need to hire a diver to do so.

Old 10-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

Wombat legs are stumpier and their bodies tend to be wider... so I don't know how well that would work for TDW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Always the pragmatist SD . . .
Old 10-01-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
If the engine over revs you have lost the prop. If you can’t get up to the RPMs you had in the past the prop is overgrown with junk. How fast does the engine turn in gear now?
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 10-01-2007

robfinora is on a distinguished road
Check for growth on the prop....same thing happened to me one summer when I let her sit for 4 weeks. At best I was getting 1/2 knot.
Old 10-01-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
There are times when it will not be natural growth of sea-weed, mussels and barnacles.
But there could be old fishing net, neighbor's mooring lines, your mooring lines or old lines that an idiot tossed into the harbor or sea because he was to lazy to carry it to the trash bin.
Old 10-01-2007
Señor Member

Even if the propnut is still in place, and something created rotation resistance (such as rope, net, hard obstruction, etc), there is a very remote possibility that the prop key had sheared off from the shaft's keyway - resulting in free spinning.
Old 10-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Always the pragmatist SD . . .
besides TDW is rather buoyant....so he'd need quite a weight belt to be able to get to the prop's depth.

T34C's point about engine RPMs is a good one, and TB has another good point about the key getting sheared—which would result in over-revving the engine but still have the appearance of a prop attached.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.