Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-03-2007

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
Flushing fresh water tanks

This summer I haven't used my fresh water system much. Today, I was on the boat changing my starter battery, when I was finished, I went to wash my hands and the water had an awful rotten onion smell to it. I could use some advice on the best way to flush the system to get rid of that smell.
Old 10-03-2007
Reformed powerboater

TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheBlackPearl Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlackPearl
Well, if it's sat stagnant for awhile, it's possible that the smell in the water has actually become impregnated in the plastic water tubing itself. Hopefully this isn't the case. If it we're my boat, i'd start by filling the tank and including a rather strong amount of chlorine bleach. I have two 50-gal tanks and use roughly one tablespoon per tank for "maintenance" every time i fill up. Perhaps you might want to double or triple that rate for your case. But i would fill the tank up and let that more potent mixture sit in the tank for a good day or so. Perhaps take it out for a sail and stir that tank up a bit.

Somewhere i read that if you have an access port into your water tank, you can dump in cubed ice with just a small amount of water to keep the mixture somewhat "sloshy". Then take the boat out into some waves and this will help to stir up any algae or solids that are in the tank. When the ice melts off you can either drain the tank or use the pump to pump the water out.

Either way, if i we're you i'd try doing that several times over before i even bothered testing the water to see if you've got it cleaned out. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do what Peggy Hall says HERE first. Then flush the system a fair amount of fresh water. Then finish with a mixture of vinegar and water. That should help clear any funky smells or contamination from your freshwater system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook