Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-04-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Reasons why I shouldn't get lazy jacks?

Are there any? I have a fully battened main on my Catalina 27 and I would love to have a little more control over the sail when I bring it down. Are there any things I should be aware of before I buy? Performance considerations? sail cover considerations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
some people fix them so they can remove them off the bottom of the boom to use the unmodified sail cover. I love em! The only thing that can be a prob is you HAVE to dead in the wind to raise the main. I've heard with full battens they work even better.
good luck!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We are one of those that remove them except for when dousing the main. This allows us to use a standard sail cover, and gets them off the sail and avoids any chafe and wear that might occur there.

You do need to be fully luffing or the jacks can hang up the sail, but that is worst with partial battens, and less of an issue with full battens.

The bottom half of our lazyjack system is made of shock cords, so we can store them to a handrail when no in use. This also takes away any issues with overtensioning the jacks with the mainsheet if you leave them in place while sailing.

The main reason we have them is to protect the price Lexan dodger windows, which scratch amazingly easily.
Old 10-04-2007
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Try EZ jacks

Ahoy Denise,

I would suggest EZ Jacks instead. These are Lazy Jacks that can be stowed at the mast and completely out of the way. You would hardly even notice them when stowed. No problem with them catching the battens when hoisting the main in any heading.
I built mine for about $80.00 for everything.

Fair Winds,

Cap'n Dave
I sail therefore I ARRRRRRRRrrrrrr!
Old 10-04-2007

Catalina274me is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 with Lazy Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
Are there any? I have a fully battened main on my Catalina 27 and I would love to have a little more control over the sail when I bring it down. Are there any things I should be aware of before I buy? Performance considerations? sail cover considerations? Thanks!

I also have a Catalina 27 with the Full Battened Main I have the Lazy jacks and love them since I single hand almost always. I have blocks on the mast so I can raise and lower them as needed, as I use a standard sail cover. Nothing like dropping the main in a hurry by yourself and having the sail under control and not hanging over the boom and trying to lash it down by yourself in rough weather.
Old 10-04-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've got them on the main and aside from the full battens snagging the lazy jack lines when raising sail, I love them. Wish I had them on the mizzen as well - since the boom is overhead, the mizzen sail just tumbles into the cockpit when dousing.
Old 10-04-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Err.. Thanks capnDave LOL but Jotun was the one asking for advice. Mine work fine.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2007
Live to Sail

HatterasJack is on a distinguished road
Denise,
We have EZ-Jacks as well, no need for sail cover modifications,stowes out of the way when not needed and can't chafe sail while you are sailing because they are stowed on the mast. Only problem with them is they can be noisey if not stowed correctly on mast by stricking the mast with a good wind at the slip. Good Luck Jack
Old 10-04-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_dave View Post
Ahoy Denise,

I would suggest EZ Jacks instead.
I totally agree, EZ Jax takes Lazy Jax one step further and offers another option. I installed EZ this spring and have found them to be a good value for the job. (if I could afford it I would have gone with a boom furling system, but who's got $3000 to blow) I purchased mine from EZ Jax, http://www.ezjax.com/ instead of stealing someone else's great idea...
Old 10-04-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatterasJack View Post
Denise,
Only problem with them is they can be noisey if not stowed correctly on mast by stricking the mast with a good wind at the slip. Good Luck Jack
If you run the lines from the spreaders, about 6" from the mast and you wont have this problem. In addition, you can opt for the cockpit deployment option. I did not as there is to much stuff (winches, cleats, etc.) on the boom for it to work well, so I still have to go up to the mast and deploy the EZ Jax and lower the halyard.

Just last Friday I was out in 25 knots and dropped the sail easily and tied on the way in the creek, works great.