Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
I know I know, Search the Threads!

I did the search on Awlgrip hulls, repair and touch-up. Now I am looking at a Pearson 36 (because you all beat me down about my predujice against them) and it has an older Awlgrip hull that has dulled according to the (lying snake) broker. I'm sure he means completely abraided, but anyway...can a dull Awlgrip hull be brightened without re-painting? If not, can a new paint job be done with Imron? Would this involve completely sanding down the hull (I think I know that answer). ROM on the dollars for a 36 footer?

Thanks,
Freeman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
can a dull Awlgrip hull be brightened without re-painting?
You can use Poli-Glow or something like that - which is basically an acrylic wax-type of product, or you can buff it with a rubbing compound and a buffer if the paint is still thick enough
Quote:
If not, can a new paint job be done with Imron?
You can buy Awlgrip - better to use the same product

Quote:
Would this involve completely sanding down the hull (I think I know that answer). ROM on the dollars for a 36 footer?
You would need to sand the hull smooth and abrade the existing finish enough to allow the new finish to stick to it. Around here, sending the boat in for Awlgrip runs about 175 per foot for the topsides and 225 per foot for the deck.
Old 10-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
1. You can do poliglow but don't expect miracles...and it will have to be re-done annually or so.
2. Would suggest Awlcraft2000 instead which is similar to Imron in performance.
3. Yes, hull will need to be faired and prepped but should not be too bad since it has been done once.
4. My guess for a 36 footer is around 8-9k if you stay out of annapolis!
Old 10-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would agree that Awlcraft is the way to go, as it is far more forgiving than Awlgrip. The paint job, since it is Awlgrip, is basically toast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Everything I've read is that AwlGrip, once it's been abraded, is about impossible to get and keep glossy again. Somebody, somewhere, not long ago, explained why. Our hull was done in AwlGrip years ago, according to the PO. It concerns me.

We'll be wanting to paint the decks some day. (My wife is thinking this fall or next spring. I dunno...) I'm thinking AwlCraft or Imron. Need to study.

Jim
Old 10-05-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Look up recent posts by halekai. He had an excellent dissertation on the subject recently, complete with photos that frankly embarassed the rest of us.
Old 10-06-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for ll the input. A nice white gelcoat hull in good shape is looking better and better....