Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2007

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Turnbuckles - Stainless versus Aluminum

Okay, $50 for marine grade turnbuckle versus $5 for aluminum at Home depot. Home depot one rated for 400lbs. How much better is that marine grade turnbuckle. (I am dealing with a $500 sailboat that is 23 feet long.) Will the side stays require more than a 400 lb durability ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Yes. Holding a mast up is hard work.
Old 10-05-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

Fresh water sailing? Not so bad from a corrosion standpoint. I'm guessing you'll be using the turnbuckles for the stays? If that is so, gust loading could exceed the working value of the aluminum turnbuckle followed by disaster.

I got my 22' swing keel boat free but it is best to invest in the proper hardware from a safety standpoint (possible demasting situation) and with respect to the cost of replacing a broken mast.

Turnbuckles are one of the cheaper items when it comes to hardware.

I should read more carefully- you did say for the sidestays. Sorry.

Last edited by capngregg; 10-05-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Note
Old 10-05-2007
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Absolutely! The turnbuckle should match the strength of the rigging wire. 1/8" SS wire has a breaking strength of 2200 lbs and 5/32" wire is rated at 3300 lbs. How much does your boat weigh? When the boat is heeled way over in a blow the strain on the shrouds could conceivably be as much as the boat weighs! Of course this is distributed between the upper and lower shrouds, and there are other factors involved. But clearly 400 lbs is not nearly strong enough.

I am presupposing your boat is a small trailerable cruiser weighing 2000 - 4000 lbs. If it is a daysailer weighing much less you might be able to get by with the lower strength turnbuckle. Much will depend on how large the sail area is.

Also, what are the consequences if the turnbuckle breaks and the mast comes down? Would it be just an inconvenience or would it be a major disaster? Could anyone get hurt?

Henry
Chiquita
Old 10-05-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I agree that you should not compromise in this area. But if finances are that tight, get down to your local marine consignment store and pick up a set of stainless fittings at bargain prices.

Most coastal areas with a concentration of boating activities have one or two of these places. There are three or four within five miles in my area - bins and bins of used sailing hardware at each place - a sailing flea market.
Old 10-05-2007
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
GO with the Aluminum ones

Take a Video Camera and we all can watch you on You Tube. Title your next post

Hey Ya'll watch this!!!!!

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
I sail Therefore I ARRRRRrrrrrr
Old 10-05-2007

Finallybuyingaboat is on a distinguished road
Hmm, hadn't realized the stresses on the side stays were that high. Would probably strip the threads right out of an aluminum turnbuckle in a hurry. Stainless it is then.

Not really a budget issue, but it seems so many items when purchased for "Marine" purposes have elevated prices when compared to standard duty products. In many cases this can be explained, in others....

Last edited by Finallybuyingaboat; 10-05-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Not SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallybuyingaboat View Post
Hmm, hadn't realized the stresses on the side stays were that high. Would probably strip the threads right out of an aluminum turnbuckle in a hurry. Stainless it is then....
I think you'll find the marine turnbuckles are actually made of bronze, or a bronze alloy, often chrome plated. They provide a good example of why boat stuff costs a lot, as they are subject to a lot more stress usually in a salty environment than the turnbuckles used around the house.
Old 10-05-2007
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

Boats, Trains and Airplanes (etc) all have let's say a "unique" pricing structure. TB is right on - there are plenty of surplus marine equipment houses around-give it a whirl on Google and you'll be amazed.

Some of the pricing is acceptable and some is just plain ridiculous, liability or not.

What kind of boat did you end up getting?
Old 10-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really don't want to use aluminum turnbuckles on a sailboat. Aluminum, aside from the corrosion issues, has one other issue that makes it extremely unsuitable for sailboat rigging, which is dynamic in nature rather than static—fatigue. Aluminum will fatigue under the loading and unloading cycles as your boat tacks and gybes. Stainless steel has to be strained beyond a certain point before it starts to fatigue. The turnbuckles will fail without any warning once they pass the fatigue limits of the material they're made of.

You really need to get marine grade stainless steel or bronze turnbuckles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.