Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2007

canoeman256 is on a distinguished road
C22 Radio installation

Good morning folks,

I have a question concerning radio installation in a C22. I have all the necessary stuff for mounting the antenna at the mast head and the radio over the table. I plan to go through the deck with a clam so that I don't have to remove the coax connector when I take the mast down. Finally, here is my question: Is it really as simple as drilling a coax connector sized hole in the deck, through the cabin liner, or is there something I'm missing?

I plan on installing the radio later this month. I'd planned on doing it this weekend, but the weather is too windy (read I'm going sailing instead!).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Canoeman256
C22 1989
s/v Half Fast
Decatur, Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
I think it's that simple. I installed deck organizers and cam cleats on my 1976 C-22 to run the halyards aft to the cockpit. All holes went through the deck and liner. Just make sure you put an ample amount of sealer in the hole to prevent water from getting into the decking.
Old 10-06-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Canoe...on a C22 where you're gonna be taking the mast up and down, you may be better off joining two lengths of cable on deck so you can easily take them apart when you remove the mast.
Use a deck clam to run the cable up from the cabin and attach a male PL259 plug above deck ...then join this to the male PL259 plug from the antenna lead, with a double female connector and you're good to go.
Suggest making a small loop with the ANTENNA lead at the base of the mast so that you minimize water draining onto the connector from the wire.
Old 10-06-2007

Considering options

I considered that but I was a little afraid of using so many connectors in the coax. What I finally decided was to get the clam from CD where you can make the hole in the deck large enough to pull the connector through. The whole thing is sealed by the rubber/neoprene compression ring in the clam. That way, when I take the mast down I can just disconnect from the back of the radio and pull the coax out of the boat.

Do you think the additional connectors would be better? How would the stationary connector be sealed to the deck? Do you know of any photo's I could look at? If I wasn't so #$%@# cheap, I'd have somebody install it for me.

Thanks for the input. It's still not too late for me to do it differently, I'm just trying to drill the fewest holes possible. By the way, the sailing was terrific today. The admiral and I really had a great day on the water.
Old 10-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Canoe...what you propose will work fine IF you rarely take the mast down. Those clam clamps are not designed for constant use...supposed to be a one time install. My way is more complex and you have to guard against corrosion but is the preferred method if the mast will be going up and down more than once a year.
Old 10-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second what Cam has to say. If you use a cable clam, chances are very likely that it will start to leak rather quickly. If you get the gold-plated coax connectors, corrosion is not an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-07-2007

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
West Marine has a PL-259 Style Deck Feed Through and the cap. Model# is 238568 and 157628. This is what I bought for my cable. I also bought part 3757788 which is a 90 degree fitting so I can run my cable easier. I have not installed it as of yet but I like the looks of it.

I am not concerned about adding the extra fitting as long as the connections are made proper and kept clean and tight.
Old 10-07-2007

Thanks for the input. I didn't know how the clam would hold up. I don't take my mast down very often, I keep her in the water year round, but I do plan to go to the gulf next summer.

I like the idea of a 90 deg connector, and I like the easier disconnect by using multiple connectors. I'll get the connectors this week.

One final question: Will there be any signal degredation from using the extra connectors. If I count right, there'll be one at the masthead, one on top of the deck, and one at the back of the radio. Also the 90 degree at the entry into the headliner. Did I miss any?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2007
moderate?

There will be no significant signal degradation from the connectors initially but you need to keep & clean and lubed for good contact over time.
I think you missed 1 connector from the radio to the 90 degree fitting but here was no picture of that fitting on line so I am not sure.
Old 10-07-2007

Thanks to all for the info. I have to go to Birmingham on Tuesday so I'll stop in at WM to see what they have then I'll know what to look for when I ordrer them online.

I intend to install this thing as soon as we get a weekend where the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining. Maybe I'll get it done before Christmas!!

Ya'll have a good week and thanks again. I appreciate ya'll taking the time to consider an amatures questions.