Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Water tank replacement options

I have two roughly 100 gallon freshwater tanks suspended beneath my side decks on either side of the engine compartment. They are supported on struts to the framing below (it's a steel boat) and there is about two feet of "curved space" below each oblong tank. They are about 18" W x 48" L x 22" H.

The tanks are SS and to judge by the noises they make flexing when full in a seaway, they are unbaffled.

I wish to make new tanks that are fitted to the curve of the hull down low. The boat is currently a tad tender (although I am very much lightly loaded at the moment), and I feel that putting the tanks down low will lower the CG, lower the "slosh" factor, will permit "from above" hose barbs and inspection ports and will free up considerable space above the tanks for large, light things that can stand the warmth from the engine, which will still be a good three feet away on either side. It would also allow a more sensible water fill and manifold set-up and would vent UP instead of the current down into the keel bilge.

My questions are these:

Would it be best to stick with two large SS tanks as is the case now?

Would a set of four or more be better for ballast, "slosh" and cross-containmination issues?

Is there a case for "bladders" of the Plastimo type? If so, how is remaining capacity gauged on such a tank?

Am I missing any obvious tank building materials suitable for a steel boat? What are the best ways to secure tanks firmly and yet isolate them from hard points and corrosion issues? (Once they go in, they aren't going to move unless its' absolutely necessary).

Thanks. I want to do the right thing here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
Avoid bladders -- they break, leak eventually and don't use all the available space
Plastic tanks will never corrode
Old 10-06-2007

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Val..I'm also working on my fresh water system..leaning more toward the plastic type....here's a couple sources.
http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=8

http://www.ronco-plastics.net/
Old 10-07-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Plastic - or if you're feeling rich - Monel. Plastic will absorb a bit of taste but it dissipates quickly. Monel lasts pretty well forever. Stainless will eventually corrode. Bladders are standard equipment on MacGregors.
Old 10-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rigid plastic tanks are probably the best way to go. I would recommend four tanks, since it would provide better protection against contamination, and allow you spread the load out more for ballast purposes.

Another option is to have fiberglass tanks made. They can be made custom to fit your boat, and may be a better choice in terms of strength, weight and longevity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-07-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

Another option is to have fiberglass tanks made. They can be made custom to fit your boat, and may be a better choice in terms of strength, weight and longevity.
I agree with this as well...in that it is a design issue, you might want to bounce it off these folks, as some of them are builder/designers and quite knowledgeable:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sea...archid=1086045
Old 10-07-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I would avoid bladders unless you really must. I found it difficult to keep the water fresh.
Old 10-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all the suggestions, people: bladders were suggested to me by a boat repair guy, and they were but a passing fancy.

Plastic tanks of the HDPE variety might be nice and I concur that four 50 gallon tanks make considerably more sense. There's no reason I can't have inspection ports and the stand-offs, bracing and strapping are simpler with a smaller tank as long as I eliminate any chance of chafing or friction.

I would do a fibreglass keel tank, but these are not keel tanks, but "either side of the engine bay" tanks.

I'll throw out another question: What do people think of the new(ish) snap-together plumbing fittings for marine use, given the low pressures involved and the tendency of hoses to discolour and get grotty?

Here's an example of what I mean: it strikes me that from deck fill to tap, the less metal I have the better, which is the opposite of how I feel about through-hulls and fuel manifolds.

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr...Valves/46269/0
Old 10-07-2007
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I've used some of those plastic fittings. Make sure your lines are cut square, and push the lines all the way into the fitting. Otherwise they are fabulous. You can assemble the plumbing on your boat in minutes. There is actually a marine plumbing supplier offering these, but I can't remember who. Stick with the Watts brand. Better to pay the HD price than the WM price.
Old 10-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second what US27inKS said. HD is much less expensive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.