Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-07-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
A WARP is a rope that is attached to the anchor at one end and the boat at the other. Also called a rope, cable, rode and many other names.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
As long as the right rope (cord, sheet, cable) gets pulled at the right time, the purpose has been served.
And the sport of sailing is lessened because you could not be bothered to learn the terminolgy. Why don't we all just start typing in text-message shorthand since the language has no real importance?
Old 10-08-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Sailormann is quite correct when talking with the newbie on shore. Once on board though things tend to go to pot in a hurry. It has been my experience that those who have issues with such as bow/stern and port/starboard, etc... soon get into a situation where they cannot communicate and the deficiencies of their lack of language skills becomes hazardous-mostly to themselves. "Watch out for the whimmydiddle" is not of much help when the previous declaration was "jibe-ho" and the newbie has no knowledge of what that arcane term means.

Kind and gentle to the new illiterate sailor, yes. Leave him in such a condition, hell no!
Old 10-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Kind and gentle to the new illiterate sailor, yes. Leave him in such a condition, hell no!
My belief is that the newbies who are interested in pursuing the sport start asking questions quickly - and once they do I think that it's polite for us to help them learn as much, and as quickly as possible. But I wait for them to ask ... after all, there is only so much information in my head and if I start giving it away, I want to make sure that it goes to a good home
Old 10-09-2007

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Sheave

You know that round thing on your car engine that has a v-belt running on it that drives an alternator or water pump or airconditioning compressor, it's also a sheave. but a lot of people would call it a pulley. Thats ok most people will understand what you mean. When you put a sheave between a couple of pieces of material so that it becomes portable it turns into a block.The round part with the groove that a line or belt runs on is a sheave, you are right. But it is also correct to call a block a block.
Old 10-09-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
RX Bot. Sorry, you are wrong. part of what makes a sheave a sheave is that it is free-spinning and turns by friction.
what makes it a pulley is that it is driven by something and in turn imparts power to the rope or belt running around it.

Sasha
Old 10-09-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Well, I wanted ta larn my younguns proper an all, but my wife made me promise not ta talk like a sailor in front of them.

I think a lot of passing it along is not getting authoritarian about it; if you do that it comes off as so much intellectual flatulence. I am still learning it as I go and I still often refer to a rope instead of a line or sheet, often on purpose because that is what the person I am speaking to will understand and hand me the length of fiberous material I desire. When there is time, I do explain to the kids (my usual crew) some terminology but the listening window is pretty small.
Old 10-09-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_V View Post
RX Bot. Sorry, you are wrong. part of what makes a sheave a sheave is that it is free-spinning and turns by friction.
what makes it a pulley is that it is driven by something and in turn imparts power to the rope or belt running around it.
Somebody had best alert all the dictionary people, then, because they've got it wrong

Jim
Old 10-09-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Ships, boats, and even un-manned scows do not have pulleys on board, they have sheaves.
I'm not so sure about that. Our Yanmar has quite a few pulleys....
Old 10-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While the term Sheave is preferred, sheave is a synonym for pulley according to most definitions of both words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.