Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-06-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
It's a Sheave, not a Pulley

Sheave is the maritime term for a pulley, much the same as galley is the maritime term for kitchen. Ships, boats, and even un-manned scows do not have pulleys on board, they have sheaves.

I have a few maritime dictionaries asquired over the years and the word pulley does not appear in any of them. Sheave is the only word used for the object. I do not purport to know the reason in the way that I know why a floor is not a deck ( a floor being something completely different than a deck on a vessel).

de Kerchove's Maritime Dictionary, which runs close to a thousand pages, describes a sheave thusly:

A grooved wheel in a block, mast, yard, and so on, over which a rope passes. The sheave, which is bushed, rotates upon the pin. Sheaves are made of wood, bronze, or galvinized cast iron or steel. for running riggin where severe or heavy intermittent strains are expected, as in the case of runners and topping lifts, brass sheaves are used.

Wooden sheaves are made of lignum vitaem wood bushed with bronze. Iron or steel sheaves are used with flexible wire rope to prevent galvanic action, which would soon damage the rope. They are of much greater diameter than those for fiber rope (15-20 times the rope's diameter). The groove should fit the rope accurately so as to support it for one third of it's circumference. in practise the diameter of the groove at the bottom should be 1/16th inch greater than the diameter of the rope, with an angle of flare from 50 to 60 degrees. end quote

Elevator pasengers may refer to pulleys, those who wish not to appear lubberly should call a sheave a sheave. Thank you for your time and attention.
Old 10-06-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
SA,
I worked for a guy named Bjornie Ricksford for a time. Are you kin to him.
He would see us walking down th deck and ask us where we were going. We would always say "down stairs( below ) to the back porch (fantail). He would get red faced and call us names You believe that!

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hey Sailaway, the next guy to call it "that", you just tell him to SHIV IT.
Old 10-06-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Sheave is the maritime term for a pulley, much the same as galley is the maritime term for kitchen. Ships, boats, and even un-manned scows do not have pulleys on board, they have sheaves.

I have a few maritime dictionaries asquired over the years and the word pulley does not appear in any of them. Sheave is the only word used for the object. I do not purport to know the reason in the way that I know why a floor is not a deck ( a floor being something completely different than a deck on a vessel).

de Kerchove's Maritime Dictionary, which runs close to a thousand pages, describes a sheave thusly:

A grooved wheel in a block, mast, yard, and so on, over which a rope passes. The sheave, which is bushed, rotates upon the pin. Sheaves are made of wood, bronze, or galvinized cast iron or steel. for running riggin where severe or heavy intermittent strains are expected, as in the case of runners and topping lifts, brass sheaves are used.

Wooden sheaves are made of lignum vitaem wood bushed with bronze. Iron or steel sheaves are used with flexible wire rope to prevent galvanic action, which would soon damage the rope. They are of much greater diameter than those for fiber rope (15-20 times the rope's diameter). The groove should fit the rope accurately so as to support it for one third of it's circumference. in practise the diameter of the groove at the bottom should be 1/16th inch greater than the diameter of the rope, with an angle of flare from 50 to 60 degrees. end quote

Elevator pasengers may refer to pulleys, those who wish not to appear lubberly should call a sheave a sheave. Thank you for your time and attention.
...and we need to know this because........??
Old 10-06-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Soul Searcher,
I might be related or attended the same school! I notice you said "below" and not the redundant "down below", somethin' musta stuck. (g)
Old 10-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I'm always shouting at my wife: "It's not a mast, it's a stripper pole! Now get up there and go to work, sailor!"
Old 10-06-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Yikes Your killin me Hog I might try that with the missus next time she goes to the mast. I wonder if thats were the term dodger came from. dodger... dodge her. makes you go hmmmm!

SA my fondest memory of Mr. Ricksford was when he was teaching me to plot DR positions. He asked me where I thought we were and I replied " I THINK we are right here." and put my index finger on the chart.
He replied "Well matt at a time like this you realy need to KNOW we are there, not think we are. And when someone askes you where we are don't point with your finger. Mash down with your thumb it gives a little more margine for error."
He was a great teacher.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 10-06-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
and

Rope is never called rope?

and line is never cable?

Rigging is standing and running. Rigging doesn't really run. Rigging doesn't stand.

Spars are masts, booms, yardarms etc... BUT only a boom is a spar?

A bollard is never a cleat? But can cleat to a bollard?

The steering wheel is the WHEEL but it's always at the Helm?

A turnbuckle hasn't any buckle in it.

A pilot house is called that but do all boats have pilots?

"keel" is always used to mark steel. But steel will really mark your keel!

Heeling is not listing. Listing doesn't mean your selling your boat.

You can have sheaves without blocks but you can never have a block without a sheave!

Why do we go on like this??

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Because we can

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-06-2007

LakeTravisP26 is on a distinguished road
Except the cordage attached to a bucket is a rope.