Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2007

phiggins is on a distinguished road
Vodka

I haven't tried this myself but a friend at the marina says he uses vodka instead of the red stuff. Sounds like it may be expensive but in the spring you don't have to flush all the lines just bring some olives and have a martini party.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
Vodka,
the underated ultimate cure all.
This would give you several advantages: 1. & 2. extra help when you need it most, decommisioning, recommissioning; 3.use as an antifreze, 4. good time for all as the crew will remember the vodka and not the labor prior
fantistic idea thanks for the
Old 10-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only problem I see with using vodka is that it is flammable and may attack the seals and gaskets in the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-09-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
No Chemical Reason Why That Would Happen

The alcohol in vodka is ethanol (ethyl alcohol). The Pink Anti-freeze has ethanol in it also. If the Pink Stuff works and doesn't harm seals, vodka won't harm seals also. However, Vodka is a lot more expensive/gallon than the Pink stuff.

DrB
Old 10-09-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
We just finished up winterizing (?) our 36 foot sloop in Seward, Alaska this weekend and we always leave the pink stuff in the lines and flush out after breakup.

This year I also tried something new...I unhooked the head inlet hose from the seacock, flushed out all the seawater from the head inlet and refastened the hose to the seacock with the two hose clamps. (A couple of years back the back of the head froze and cracked the plastic, forcing me to replace the head.)
Old 10-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Checked the MSDS for four different brands of antifreeze, and none have Ethanol as an ingredient. I don't know what brand you're using or where you got your information, but I believe it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
The alcohol in vodka is ethanol (ethyl alcohol). The Pink Anti-freeze has ethanol in it also. If the Pink Stuff works and doesn't harm seals, vodka won't harm seals also. However, Vodka is a lot more expensive/gallon than the Pink stuff.

DrB

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
HAHAHAHAHAH.... wait, what was the original question again??? SOmetimes I skip over threads I should not.

Leave it in. Wasn't that the question? Does not taste good though. Thus pump it out at the end. However, if vodka, leave it in. However, if ethanol is bad, pump it out (just call CD first... I will do it for you for free).

HEHEHEHE! Ohh, only on sailnet will we go 4000 pages to decide whether to leave it in or pump it out. THe Sea Ray guys are going to be laughing at us...

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-09-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Checked the MSDS for four different brands of antifreeze, and none have Ethanol as an ingredient.
Some brands have ethanol http://www.southwinltd.com/Northwin/nontoxic.htm

BTW, Not all ingredients are on an MSDS. MSDS only has to list hazardous ingredients as defined by OSHA (US), WHMIS (Canada), etc.
Old 10-09-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I got here late. Are we still pumping the pink stuff? (g)
Old 10-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Checked the MSDS for four different brands of antifreeze, and none have Ethanol as an ingredient. I don't know what brand you're using or where you got your information, but I believe it is wrong.
Damn - wisht I'd read that before I mixed up the first batch of drinks !!! Just wasted a huge amount of ice and grenadine...