Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-07-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Changing rig type

Okay...I'm not sure if this is a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Is it possible to change a boat from a bermudian rig to a gaff rig? Does a given boats design characteristics limit its use only to the type of rig the designer had in mind? If this is possible...what issues would I face. Would my mast be too tall? Is it difficult and/or expensive to find a gaff? Would I need to completely redo all of my running rigging? I need to replace my sails and just had this crazy thought.

I don't want to start a discussion about the pros and cons of gaff vs. bermudian rigs!!! I just want to know about the feasibility of changing from one to the other!

Thanks...and if it is a stupid question don't be afraid to let me know. Also, if it matters I have a 19' daysailer.

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gaff rigs are generally lower aspect ratio and generally have a longer boom... so your mast would probably be too tall for the boat rigged as a gaff-rig. You would probably need to modify your running rigging, since you'd need a halyard for the gaff. This would also add weight aloft... which may make the boat more tender. Another problem I see is the backstay, if your boat has one, would probably interfere with the gaff on tacks and gybes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Yes its stupid
Old 10-07-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
A rig and hull are part of a package. The shape of the hull is a little different then you would find in a gaff rigged boat compared to a jib headed one. That doesn’t mean you can’t make the change if by some chance the hull is suitable but the change will require a new mast and standing rigging not to mention the changes to the chainplates because the standing rigging is different. All in all it would be a big change and usually not worth the money.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 10-07-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Is it possible to change a boat from a bermudian rig to a gaff rig?
Yes
Quote:
Does a given boats design characteristics limit its use only to the type of rig the designer had in mind?
Not necessarily limit, but the center of effort on a gaff is generally a bit further aft than on a bermudan rig, so the boat will tend to have more weather helm, which you can compensate for by adding a bowsprit.
Quote:
If this is possible...what issues would I face. Would my mast be too tall?
Probably
Quote:
Is it difficult and/or expensive to find a gaff?
I think you would probably need to get one made.
Quote:
Would I need to completely redo all of my running rigging?
You'll need to add a topping lift, halyard, and reposition/remove your vang at the very least. You'll also need to determine how to attach the gaff to the mast - track or rings. Your sails will need to be cut and finished to accomodate the necessary fittings.
Quote:
I need to replace my sails and just had this crazy thought.
It would be better to sell the boat and buy a gaff-rigged one. You will find it very difficult to resell the boat if you alter it this way.

Last edited by Sailormann; 10-07-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Unless the boat is a "classic" and was once in fact gaff-rigged and you are restoring it to original, this is a waste of time and money.
Old 10-08-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Okay...so...like many things it is technically possible but completely impractical! Well it was just a crazy thought and I figured that it wasn't feasible anyway so I'm not too disappointed. Thanks for your answers.

Bob
Old 10-08-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Go for it!
Old 10-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
PSC Flicka are found with both rigs, but the gaff is fairly rare. I don't know the specs for both rigs on that particular boat, but I can imagine there are differences in mast height and boom length. I've seen WW Potters change to a lateen rig, so I guess anything is possible. Also, it would be much less expensive to change the rig of your 19', than a large boat. If you're going to do it, take time to really work out the job or you'll end up looking like a floating gypsy wagon.