SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Getting confused on an electrical system - 12v, 24v, 115V, 220V...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Boasun 
#1 ·
So a boat we're looking at - A Hallberg-Rassy - has so many electrical systems I'm getting confused. Here's the equipment list:

- Fischer Panda 6kw generator (yes, a Panda :) )
- 220V Shore Power
- Xantrex Inverter 1kw 24VDC to 115VAC
- Mastervolt battery charger 12v/30A
- Mastervolt combi 24V 100Amp charger 24VDC/220 AC Inverter
- Mastervolt converters (2) 24-24VDC (1) spare (was this a typo? Maybe supposed to convert 24-12?)
- Mastervolt Monitor Power
- The boat has several different outlets - 220V, 115V, 24V and 12V scattered throughout. Wherever a 12v plug exists a 24v plug also exists.

So... I'm assuming that since this is a European boat, that would be the reason for all the different types of voltages? I've seen 24v windlasses, but not too much other 24v stuff. On this boat, they seem to be treating 24v the same way we treat 12v. There's a 24v microwave, etc.

Can anyone help me make some sense out of all of these systems?

Thanks! Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
Sailorman is correct. The boat is set up to travel through U.S. and European power sources. Sounds like they did it right. You just have to pay attention what you plug in where, but someone spent some serious money to be able to live in any power inviornment. I wonder if your starter on both the Primary engine and the generator are not 24 volt. Low amperage use in starting if so. Nice.

#4 ·
It does sound like the boat was setup for cruising world-wide. Having the 12V and 24V outlets next to each other means that you don't have to worry about which equipment you buy, just which outlet you plug it into... :)

What question do you have specifically???

#6 ·
SD - no specific question - just wanted to verify that it was all there for what I thought - US and Euro.

Since the inverter is a 24volt 1kW inverter, does that mean it's the equivalent of a 12volt 2kW inverter (for capacity)?

#7 ·
24volt 1kW inverter, does that mean it's the equivalent of a 12volt 2kW inverter

No.. a KW is a measure of total power...you can mess with the amps and the volts but the power wont change. All it means is that your converter takes in a 24 volt dc source and converts it to AC equivilent to 1kw of power. That could be 120 volts at about 8 amps or 240V at 4 amps depending what system it is set for.

#8 ·
Yup!! that is why they make Volt meters for. Especially if you are not sure which voltage you are working with. Also a handy gaget to ensure that you threw the correct breaker before working on that circuit. Unless you do want to get ZAPPED!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.