Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-08-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Opinions on auxillary outboard motor

I need an auxillary outboard motor for my Helms 25. The boat weighs approximately 3500 lbs. Am I correct in thinking that a 15hp outboard should be adequate?

Also, what do you know or think about 1980's Evinrudes? I found the following outboard for sale near my hometown, and it seems like a decent deal. Here's the link: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/442587109.html

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007

junkmeister is on a distinguished road
15HP is overkill. My 25' boat weighs 3500 # as well and has an 8 HP Johnson and it will push the boat at hull speed at about 1/2 throttle. It is adequate for me. Larry.
Old 10-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, it really depends on the boat design and the engine design. I would go with a 9.9 HP high-thrust model, like the Yamaha, rather than a 15 HP. I have a boat that is about 3600, and have a 20 HP on it...

It also depends on whether you're going to just use the outboard for motoring in bad weather or just manuevering to and from the dock. If you're planning on using it as an auxilliary, especially in high winds/seas, then you'll probably need more horsepower than if you're just using it to leave and enter your slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-08-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Given that we have many summer days with calm winds during the summer here on Lake Michigan, I want the outboard to be capable of motoring us a fair distance if need be. That's why I'm leaning toward something bigger than a 9.9hp.

So is $360 a decent price for a 1980 Evinrude 15hp if it's in good running condition? It seems like a really good price to me, but I've only recently started looking.

Old 10-08-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
9.9 HP is a good figure, because they are extremely popular and every motor maker has them in various shaft lengths. They are also commonly equipped with magnetos, meaning they can provide a charge underway to house batteries.
Old 10-08-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
kwalters,
I'd say the price was about average, depending on how much it was used, ie... wear. I'd probably go for the smaller 9.9 as well, especially for Lake Michigan where you'll probably not need the extra hp for heavy weather. You'll really like the weight difference between the two. Remember, whether you're using it or not, you're going to have it strapped to your stern all the time and that'll affect your trim while sailing.
Old 10-08-2007

Siamese is on a distinguished road
The fifteen probably has about five horsepower you can't use. I used to sail a Grampian 26 on Lake Michigan with a mid-eighties Evinrude 9.9. It was sufficient and could run for hours on end into steep, tall Lake Michigan waves. A 9.9 should take your boat up to it's hull speed with no problem and cruise very nicely at around 70% throttle. The fifteen will probably just burn more fuel.

Yes, $360.00 would be a good price for a fifteen in good condition. BUT...the one you're looking at appears to be a short shaft. Even with your retractable motor mount, I suspect you'd find yourself spinning your prop in the air a lot more than you'd like.

I'd be looking for a long shaft 9.9.

Having run two stroke outboards for years, I'll throw in a couple more pieces of advice...forgive me if you already know:
1) Always use the best two stroke oil. Johnson/Evinrude or Merc's Quicksilver. Grab a can of Quaker State two stroke oil, or start messing around with other brands and you will regret it (fouling).
2) Always use fresh fuel, and be sure to use stabilizer in it at the end of the season. Be sure to add stabilizer to your fuel and run the engine long enough for the stabilizer to go throughout your fuel system (into the carb), so you're not gummed up in the Spring. Old fuel is okay in a lawn mower, but will cause poor running or lack of running with an outboard. Use an engine fogger at the end of the season.

If the engines good and you have good plugs in it, and you follow rules one and two, an eighties Evinrude will reward and amaze you with its reliability.

By the way, I'm still using the Evinrude 3 horse that I got when I was five. I follow rules 1 and 2 to keep it reliable and I'm 53 now.