Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-09-2007

StephenOrd is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Blocked plumbing

On my 1981 Tartan 37 I have discovered that the drain pipe from the Icebox / refrigerator is plugged. I have tried a piece of wire from both ends and pressurized air (75 psi) also from both ends but have not been able to unblock the hose (3/4"). There seems to be a 90' fitting about a foot down the drain that I cannot get around and I cannot access the hose except from the ends. I have tried removing the cabinetry but it is glued on.

Does anyone know if DrainO or Liquid plumber will harm the hoses? Or has anyone else got a solution?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I also have a 1981-vintage boat which has had a blocked refer drain for years. Mine was blocked for 17 of the 18 years I've owned the boat. Finally, this spring, I got serious. Or mad. Or somethin'.

Got a hefty piece of insulated s/s lifeline, and banged away at the plugup from each end. Then, I cut the hose a bit downstream of the plugup and took a long thin screwdriver and hammer to it.

Took about 1/2 hour, but it finally dislodged. Kicked myself for putting up with it so long.

I would have just cut the hose out and replaced it but, of course, it's in an impossible position and would have required major surgery, while patching the hose with a plastic connector piece was a breeze.

Can you believe it, I actually used a pump and hose all these years to drain water from the bottom?

Keep at it. It will give up eventually.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 10-09-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Make yourself an adaptor to attach the end of the drain line to a shop vac and try some vacuum to pull crap through. Alternatively try the same trick from the other end. You might just suck out whatever is in there.
Old 10-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Whatever you do - refrain from caustic chemicals, like DrainO or Liquid Plumber.

Perhaps you can secure one end of a long enough, braided steel cable (like shroud wire) to the chuck of an electric drill. Unbraid an inch or so of the other end and insert into the drain opening, or opposite pipe end . . . and drill away. This will simulate a plumber's drain router - on a smaller scale.