Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-11-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I've never had that problem, but I can see how it could happen. It's important to apply the tape to the threads only, with no overhang. Here's Don Casey's advice:

"When connecting the supply hose to the solenoid, an adapter is usually required. Wrap the threads of the solenoid end of the adapter with Teflon sealing tape. Do not use Teflon tape on the hose end. The rule is that when the threads form the seal, you need Teflon tape, but not when the seal is formed with a flare, O-ring, or other compression fitting."

The entire article can be found here: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/18.htm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2007

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
Use nitrogen for the test and eliminate the temp variances. 1 lb loss in 15 minutes may not be able to be read on the gauge at 175 psi. The value you place on your life is the amount of time you allow for leak testing propane.
Old 10-11-2007
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Charles Law

All gases will increase in volume with an increase in temperature, per Charles Law. Charles Law: V1/T1=V2/T2
V= volume
T= Temperature
Temperature must be in Kelvin.
To convert Farenheight to Kelvin.
K=(Fdeg+459.67)/1.8
Old 10-11-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Well, I am keeping it simple for now.
The system passes 15-30 minute tests ok, longer than that and temperature does play games with pressure, so I left that alone for now.

I will monitor the system as I am using it, see if it behaves any better or worse.
Old 10-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, IMHO, the propane tanks need to have their valves closed unless you are using the propane. This was an issue with Ken Barnes...where he wasn't sure of what electrical equipment he could use after his knockdown, because he wasn't sure the propane system wasn't leaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-12-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I know, this is why my new propane locker was placed in the cockpit - for easy access, so that I won't have an excuse not to turn off the tank when done cooking or for the night.

I suppose the downside is that a tank is so close to everything, but on a boat it is kinda hard to keep things "far" anyway, what with limited space and all.
Old 10-12-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The 24 Hour period intrigues me. Does that mean you leave your gas valve open all the time ?

Asking the question of everyone else, how many of you don't close off your gas supply when you finish using the stove etc ?

I can't believe that anyone would leave a gas line open permanently. Seems terribly silly to me.

ps - Brak answered my first question while I was still typing.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-12-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Guys... something is not adding up here.
The pressure should not drop until the tank is exhausted. The propane is in liquid-gas equilibrium in the tank, and the guage pressure will monitor the vapour pressure of the gas on top of the liquid. The vapour pressure is dependent only on tank temperature, and not content (well, not until it is about to run out that is).
Measuring the content of the tank is normally done by weight, with a spring balance. Pressure does not tell us much.
Old 10-12-2007

vabuckeye will become famous soon enough vabuckeye will become famous soon enough
In English, to be inert is to be in a state of doing little or nothing.

In chemistry, the term inert is used to describe something that is not chemically active. The noble gases were described as being inert because they did not react with the other elements or themselves. It is now understood that the reason that inert gases are completely inert to basic chemical reactions (such as combustion, for example), is because their outer valence shell is completely filled with electrons. With a filled outer valence shell, an inert atom is not easily able to acquire or lose an electron, and is therefore not able to participate in any chemical reactions. For inert atoms or molecules, a lot of energy is involved before it can combine with other elements to form compounds. A high temperature and pressure is necessary, and sometimes requires the presence of a catalyst. Wikipedia

Nitrogen is an inert gas and is not chemically active.
Old 10-12-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Rockter,

The pressure guage is downstream of the tank valve, and its sole purpose is for testing the propane system for leaks when the manual tank valve is CLOSED. The guage is never used to measure the pressure in the tank, which as you correctly point out is largely meaningless information.