Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ya oughta try finding handles for the old brass Merryman winches.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well you could take the new standard size winch handle to a machinist and have him cut it down to the correct size on his milling machine.
Of course you will have to do careful measurements for him to go by... Better yet, have him take the measurements also and see if they match yours.
Again though it may cost as much as a new handle or two, to have this done properly. Know anyone with a home shop??
Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A regular locking winch handle may not have enough meat on the piece that fits the eight-pointed star to machine down to the smaller size. A non-locking handle might be an option though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Well you could take the new standard size winch handle to a machinist and have him cut it down to the correct size on his milling machine.
Of course you will have to do careful measurements for him to go by... Better yet, have him take the measurements also and see if they match yours.
Again though it may cost as much as a new handle or two, to have this done properly. Know anyone with a home shop??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-11-2007

L124C is on a distinguished road
I measured the female receptacle ("socket", or whatever that would be called) on the winch and came up with the following. The measurement from point to point at the widest part of the star on the spline is 7/8". The measurement as measured for a square spline is 3/4" out to out. Thanks for your interest and help!
Bill
Old 10-12-2007

lumeij is on a distinguished road
vintage winch handle 5/8" square

Referring to the query about old type winch handles, I run into the same problem. I purchased a set of second hand Lewmar 40 winches in perfect condition. Year of production and identification number were etched on the underside as 72/300 and 72/924. The new type star-shaped winch handle heads which I already had on board, however, did not fit.
I contacted the factory and they informed me that the new standard of the winch handle head is 11/16" (measured on the 'square' part), while the older type measured 5/8". They are not available anymore.
I have been looking for a winch handle with a starshape with 5/8", but from another forum I learned that the older winch handles did not have a star shape but were 15.8 mm square (post by Arend Schram on Dutch Albin Vega forum). This is identical to 5/8".
Your problem can be solved by machining down a new winch handle to 5/8" square. Because of the work involved it makes sense to start with a good quality floating winch handle and make sure the square locking plate remains intact. This would give you double insurance against loss.
Good luck!

PS If someone has an old type winch handle 5/8" square I would be interested. Would save me some work. Always good to have a spare on board.
Old 10-13-2007

garyguss is on a distinguished road
Just for the sake of completeness, you might try E-bay and see if anything pops up for that model winch, you never know what somebody might be trying to sell.
Old 10-13-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Is this what you are looking for?

Old 10-13-2007

lumeij is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the trouble of making such an informative picture of your winch handle. However, as far as I can judge from the picture it is a 11/16" square and not a 5/8". Is this correct?
Old 10-15-2007

L124C is on a distinguished road
Wow, The power of the Internet! When "lumeij" mentioned that the old style winch was square, not star shaped, it made me think. Why couldn't I take a current star shaped handle down to a square shape? I had a current handle that was a little rough so I went to work on it with a Dremil. Took me all of a half hour and it works like a charm! Thanks lumeij!
Bill
Old 06-02-2011

auclairnautic is on a distinguished road
profesional solution for old winches

You will find new winch-handles for old winches in auclairnautic.com

Tags
3/4 spline , lewmar 8 , old winch handle