Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011

auclairnautic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I have a couple of Lewmar 8 winches for the halyards on my boat. The spline on the handle is a 8 point star pattern, similar to current handles, though slightly smaller. The previous owner was using a handle with a square spline, which was filed slightly to fit the winch at 4 points in the star pattern. While I wasn't happy with this make shift approach, it worked. The other day I managed to drop that handle in the bay ! I clearly foresaw the event, and have been searching for a replacement handle for a while without success. The winches work well, and I hardly want to replace them for want of a handle. Anyone know where I can find a replacement. At this point, I would even be happy to find a square spline handle!
I have the solution to your problem . Send me a message info% auclairnautic.com
All the best
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
His problem is solved. This is an OLD thread.
Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
OK, sorry ,I didn't see the date.

Have a good day.
Old 05-15-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Old winch handle replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Actually no...I came up with a solution, but it's not ideal. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, grinding a standard handle down works, but doesn't leave a lot of material on the spline. They don't last.
Still looking for someone to make me some proper handles. Can't believe how difficult it is!
I'll contact the member who claimed he had a solution and report back.
BTW: A thread regarding old winches is only "OLD" if you have NEW winches!
Old 05-15-2013

Re: professional solution for old winches

Quote:
Originally Posted by auclairnautic View Post
You will find new winch-handles for old winches in auclairnautic.com
Somehow I got disconnected from the thread and missed this. Looks like a great resource. As he said, they make retro winch handles. They will even engrave the handle so the diver that finds it knows what boat it came from!Check out the "winch trays". Very clever!
Hope it's my solution!
Old 05-15-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I'm glad this thread is revived. I have 2 "Parat"(sp?) brand winches that use a modern winch handle with the splines flied off.

It hasn't gone overboard...... yet..... but I really don't like only having one of something. I'm watching your thread with interest and if I come up with something I'll let you know.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2013

Can't believe how difficult it is!

When I installed a used winch Barbarossa on my Dufour 31 five years ago,I also thought that the problem of the winch-handle would be very easy to solve. Big mistake.
Here is a topic that seems simple and did not

All the best and have a great season of sailing
Old 06-03-2013

Problem solved!

Yet another problem solved via Sailnet and this "stale" thread! Followed the link in #20 to Auclair Nautic. Auclair Nautic - Manivelas de winch.
Francois is manufacturing handles for several (probably most) old winches.
I ordered two with a 8 point star spline that both fit my Lewmar 8 and 25 winches. The pair cost me about $325 including shipping (from Spain). Pricey, but gladly paid! I ordered the standard handle and optional locking mechanism. While they are nice looking, the machining of the spline, lock and rotation of the handle is a little crude for handles in this price range. The locks are not spring loaded (as with modern winches). They should be fine for the typical horizontal application, however, I won't trust the locks (leave the handles in the winch) for my vertical Halyard winch. Most importantly...THEY FIT!!!!
Customer service could not have been better.
After searching for years, and having considered doing this myself, I can assure you Francois is providing a valuable service. Highly recommended!
Edit (7/14): As I feared, the lock on one of the handles betrayed me. I watched in horror as the handle fell out of the winch, hit the deck, and did a back flip into the bay! Unless the lock mechanism is improved I would recommend not ordering (or making) it. It makes the handle difficult to remove from the winch (which is why I thought "It won't fall out if I can't get it out". WRONG! ) and provides a false sense of security.
Attached Thumbnails
Old winch handle replacement-0601131308.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to L124C For This Useful Post:
auclairnautic (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013

I was travelling this summer in California. I came to realize that a lot of old sailing boat do not have the winch-handles that match for their old winches. (Barient,Barlow,Goiot, Barbarossa..)
We are pleased to see our American customers grows up and are satisfied with our hand-made work.
We offer winch-handles in stainless steel or brass for current and older models of winches. All winch-handles can be engraved with the name of your boat.
We also offer nautical gifts to offer to all sailing captains: winch-handles engraved with the name of the boat placed on a wooden stand with a plate dedicated according to your wishes. THIS IS A REAL NOVELTY.

The prices for a winch-handle for old model of winch begin at 108 USD (Shipping inclueded) for the models "Basic" (not polished).

An don't forget : If you don't find the winch-handle you need in our catalog, we will made one for you (no extra charges !)

Have good winds

FranÁois
Old 4 Weeks Ago

As I feared (post 28), the lock on one of the handles betrayed me. I watched in horror as the handle fell out of the winch, hit the deck, and did a back flip into the bay! Unless the lock mechanism is improved I would not recommend ordering (or making) it. It makes the handle difficult to remove from the winch (which is why I thought: "It won't fall out if I can't get it out". WRONG! ) and provides a false sense of security.
Still love the (remaining) handle, but the lock is useless.

Last edited by L124C; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:05 AM.

Tags
3/4 spline , lewmar 8 , old winch handle