Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007

L124C is on a distinguished road
Old winch handle replacement

I have a couple of Lewmar 8 winches for the halyards on my boat. The spline on the handle is a 8 point star pattern, similar to current handles, though slightly smaller. The previous owner was using a handle with a square spline, which was filed slightly to fit the winch at 4 points in the star pattern. While I wasn't happy with this make shift approach, it worked. The other day I managed to drop that handle in the bay ! I clearly foresaw the event, and have been searching for a replacement handle for a while without success. The winches work well, and I hardly want to replace them for want of a handle. Anyone know where I can find a replacement. At this point, I would even be happy to find a square spline handle!
Edit: For the solution see post 28.

Last edited by L124C; 06-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

mt7555 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New design plastic OneTouch Handle

Try a Dax OneTouch handle - This is a new design with a quick release bar running along the top of the handle. You just grab it and it releases. No more thumb release! You can check it out at - just do a search for "DAX Onetouch Handle".

This is the plastic version of the design - Lewmar has licensed the design and makes the metal version. I prefer the plastic version - Nice balance and lighter. I have raced with this handle this year and it is real nice to use and exceptionally strong!
Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
MT7555-

You missed his point entirely... his winches use the older, smaller eight-point opening, not the standard one found on modern winches. The Dax OneTouch won't do him any good—it is too big to fit.

L124C-

Your best bet is to contact a used yatch equipment supplier or consignment shop, like Minney's Yatch Surplus. They're likely to have what you need. Get two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-10-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I have a couple of Lewmar 8 winches for the halyards on my boat. The spline on the handle is a 8 point star pattern, similar to current handles, though slightly smaller. The previous owner was using a handle with a square spline, which was filed slightly to fit the winch at 4 points in the star pattern. While I wasn't happy with this make shift approach, it worked. The other day I managed to drop that handle in the bay ! I clearly foresaw the event, and have been searching for a replacement handle for a while without success. The winches work well, and I hardly want to replace them for want of a handle. Anyone know where I can find a replacement. At this point, I would even be happy to find a square spline handle!

Hane you checked westmarine.com?
Old 10-10-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Here's one that floats!!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-FLO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-10-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Practicing a MOB for the floating winch handle may be a good idea, or what's the point in getting it ?
Old 10-10-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Some older handles here:http://motors.search.ebay.com/winch_...0QQsacatZ31281
Try to come up with some sort of measurement to go by...
Old 10-10-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Measurement for instance: I have a square drive handle that fits a 13/16 socket perfectly.
Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I believe the older winches used a 5/8" or 3/4" drive rather than the newer 13/16" drive

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-11-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Practicing a MOB for the floating winch handle may be a good idea, or what's the point in getting it ?
Somebody at our club mentioned that not long ago. He allowed as how non-floating winch handles were a better way to go because if one goes over the side in a race, there's no agonizing over whether to lose time fetching it

Jim

Tags
3/4 spline , lewmar 8 , old winch handle