Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-10-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Flying Dutchman

Is a dutchman system a good thing? I am looking at a '75 Bristol 32 that has it. Does it compromise performance in any way? I could see it affecting the draft of the sail. Any input is welcome.

Thanks as always,
Freeman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Bardo,

Are you referring to the Dutchman mainsail lazyjack system? If so, we have this system and it is reasonably satisfactory. It does not interfere with the mainsail draft because it is attached to the topping lift, which gets eased when sailing. We sometimes have trouble with the monofilament line getting snagged under the velcro flaps of our batten pockets, but that is because whoever installed it did not set it up so the line exits on the opposite side of the mainsail from the batten pockets, as should have been done.

My biggest complaint about this system is that the heavy monofilament line (looks like weed whacker line) seems to get brittle from UV exposure. Ours break with more regularity than I'd like, and rethreading the monofilament is a bit of a nuisance.

Frankly, I will probably go back to a more typical lazyjack system when we get a new mainsail. But this is not a system that should have any bearing on your purchase decision.
Old 10-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
Is a Dutchman system a good thing? I am looking at a '75 Bristol 32 that has it. Does it compromise performance in any way? I could see it affecting the draft of the sail. Any input is welcome.

Thanks as always,
Freeman
Bardo...if your going to move up to a bigger boat, wouldn't you want to bigger than just 3 more feet?

What price point are you trying to stay around?

My Aunt & Uncle had a Bristol 35.5 with the Dutchman, they loved it! No complaints. However, I could see having to replace those monofilament lines frequently as a real PITA, but the system works well, especially for reefing, you practically don't need reef ties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-10-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The trick is to keep an eye on the flaking line and make dure it does not get too tight... but not too loose either. I think it is a great system (and relatively inexpensive) and would not hesitate using it again. It (like ANY other system) is not without its issues. However, it is a LOT better than that sail falling all over the cabin top.

You will like it.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-10-2007
Just another stop...

T37,
yah, I know. It is a boat of opportunity, too good to pass up for a look anyway. It really isn't the boat I want. BTW, I got a call from a local Tartan dealer today, whose been trying to sell me a 2007 boat which I told him I was not interested in (for reasons too numerous to mention). He worked very hard to discredit all of the folks who have posted here and elsewhere. It was disheartening (its my post, and I'll hijack if want).
Old 10-10-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I would not ever ever ever buy a new boat! No matter who the builder and no matter what a great reputation they have...primarly becasue I'll never be able to afford a new boat that I would want to own...

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-10-2007
Just another stop...

That was one of the many many reasons I told him to pack sand. He did say that it was discounted from 250k to 199k. Such a deal! My budget is a bit more, shall we say, constrained. But I am determined to find a very cool boat pretty cheap during this off season.....