Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-10-2007

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Jack stands

I need to support my soon to be new boat on a flatbed trailer for a short move to my house (1/2 mile) The boat will stay on the flatbed until ready to go in the water using a travellift type crane.

I have no experience with this.

Can someone make a recommendation on how to support the boat with jack stands and also, where would I get these stands from?
The boat has a full keel and weighs 20 000 lbs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
GBURTON,

For jackstands, check places like Defender Marine, Hamilton Marine, or Jamestown Distributors.

You indicate you have no experience with moving large boats by trailer. It would be a good idea to either seek professional help or at a minimum get someone involved who does have some experience. I am frankly a bit leery of your idea to set the boat on jackstands on a flatbed. Take a look at the typical hydraulic trailer used for moving boats of this size and you will understand what I mean.

Also, check with your insurance company. Your method of moving the boat may not be covered by the policy....
Old 10-10-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Gburton- I would re-read what John said above and do exactly what he says. Jackstands on a trailer+ 20,000lb boat=disaster. IMHO. John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-10-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Agreed..

A proper solid cradle on a good flatbed might be acceptable, but a flat bed has too much flex (esp under a 20,000 lb load) for jack stands to be reliable for the transport phase for sure.
Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really need a solid cradle for a 10 ton boat being moved on a flatbed. I can't think of a flatbed that is made rigidly enough to keep the boat stands in place properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-11-2007

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-11-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Cradle. Get one. Then guy the cradle with tensioned cable and/or industrial strength webbing to the trailer. This is a pro job and they earn their money by avoiding the 101 ways this can go wrong (like your boat breaking into two pieces that land on two SUVs, one filled with nuns, the other with orphans.

Want to see how idiots can pooch a trailer job? Ask me. The legal crap surrounding this clusterscrew started in May and is only now concluding to my satisfaction.

Old 10-11-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Cradle. Get one. Then guy the cradle with tensioned cable and/or industrial strength webbing to the trailer. This is a pro job and they earn their money by avoiding the 101 ways this can go wrong (like your boat breaking into two pieces that land on two SUVs, one filled with nuns, the other with orphans.

Want to see how idiots can pooch a trailer job? Ask me. The legal crap surrounding this clusterscrew started in May and is only now concluding to my satisfaction.
Impressive!! How did they get out of that one? A crane job I suppose??

What are the fenders for? To fend off passing trees??

Now I know where the saying "may the road never rise to meet you" came from.. From the camera angle it looks like it just bloody well might!

--Cameron
Old 10-11-2007

Ouch! Cradle it is
Old 10-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente actually posted the series of photos from that particular event a while back. It was very impressive... and shows a lot about the stability of his fat steel beastie...It was probably a very good thing that the cradle and boat were both steel—I don't think a wooden cradle or fiberglass boat would have done very well in that situation.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.