Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-11-2007

AlbertJ is on a distinguished road
Mounting tiller pilot dilemma

I was wondering if anyone has been able to come up with a good solution to mounting tiller pilots on older boats with a long cockpit-sole style tillers.
The tiller on my boat (Newport 27 – similar to C&C 27) is very long (about 4ft) and is connected to the rudder shaft right at the cockpit sole – about 2 ft from the aft end of the cockpit. If the pilot is installed within the recommended range of 16-24 inches from the rudder shaft, the tiller must be raised about 30 degrees in order for the tiller pilot to reach the tiller.
Only the very tip of the tiller clears the bench if not raised (and I am using a curved tiller not a straight one). However mounting the pilot to the forward tip of the tiller would place it about 4 ft from the pivoting point and also it would greatly limit the turning angle.
I have tried using the tiller bracket mounted on the top of the tiller but that also limits the turning range since the tiller hits the sides of the cockpit.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
-Albert
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
How about a upright "fork" that the TP attaches to? the tiller can drop into it. the fork would pivot from the floor and the TP would be able to move it side to side? the fork could hold the tiller high enough to clear the benches. and it would easy to make a pivot for the fork... just a thought..

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertJ View Post
I have tried using the tiller bracket mounted on the top of the tiller but that also limits the turning range since the tiller hits the sides of the cockpit.

-Albert
I can't picture what the tiller hitting the sides of the cockpit has to do with the TP. Could you explain?

There are a number of tiller brackets available that extend the height of the tiller by as much as 5 inches, when mounted on top of the tiller.
Old 10-11-2007

mlsalwa is on a distinguished road
tiller pilot

I have a Hunter 26.5 and the tiller mount seems to be exactly what you have. I have a bracket on the top of the tiller which connects to the TP. I have not experienced any problems with the tiller hitting the sides. The deflection of the tiller pilot is not that great.