Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-12-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Boom to Stern Traveler

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the name of the piece of rigging that runs from the end of the boom to a traveler on the stern of a sailboat? It's part of the mainsheet, but does it have a specific name in that configuration? I need to get a new one for my boat and I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The mainsheet tackle.
Old 10-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the name of the piece of rigging that runs from the end of the boom to a traveler on the stern of a sailboat? It's part of the mainsheet, but does it have a specific name in that configuration?
Well, the little pinned wheels the sheet runs around are called sheaves. The frames in which they're mounted are called blocks, as are the assemblies. When one-or-more blocks are combined with line (such as your mainsheet), the assembly is referred-to as tackle.

Quote:
I need to get a new one for my boat and I'm not sure what to look for.
It isn't quite that simple. Do you need one or both new blocks, new line, or all of the above? Are you simply looking to replace what you have because something broke or is obviously worn/degraded, are you trying to increase your purchase, increase the speed with which you can adjust your mainsheet, increase load-handling capability, add fine-tuning capability, or some combination of these?

What kind of boat do you have? At what point on the boom is your mainsheet tackle attached? (Sounds like end-boom sheeting, from what you've said so far.)

Quote:
Thanks!
You're welcome!

Jim
Old 10-12-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Jim - Thanks for the help! Yes, my boat (Helms 25) does indeed have end-boom sheeting. This is a project boat and the mainsheet was missing entirely when I purchased it. Therefore, I need the full assembly (new blocks, line, etc.) and am trying to make sure I get something that works with the current boom and stern traveler system. Maybe I can take some pictures to allow y'all to give me better help.

I'm considering the Harken mainsheet trimming system for small boats in this link: http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2...de=HARMAINSYS1. I'm not sure if that will do the trick or not. And I'm not sure if there's a simpler, more cost effect method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Depends upon your boat and your experience! First time my wife and I sailed (on a borrowed Super Porpoise) the mailsheet was attatched to my arm. That explains why a gust of wind caused me to go swimming!
Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
If on a budget (who isn't?), I would look into Garhauer for excellent value and quality. Contact sales and they will put together what you need - for very lttle compared to Harken, Schaefer, Lewmar, etc.
http://garhauermarine.com/
Old 10-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the recommendation for Garhauer. BTW, this thread is giving me a sense of deja vú

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-12-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I installed the Harken small boat system on my Venture 21, made a helluva difference. Good solid gear, if a bit pricey.
Old 10-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
BTW, this thread is giving me a sense of deja vú
Can't imagine why

kwaltersmi, you might want to read this recent thread, started by yours truly: Unmanageable Mainsheet. A lot of questions and answers that pertain to your decision will be in there.

FWIW: If money's not an object, The Admiral and I really liked the fit, finish and feel of the 60mm Lewmar fiddle blocks Alex recommended first. We finally went with the Harken Carbo triple blocks for more purchase, for the SWL (safe working load) and for the breaking strength. For your boat, much smaller everything, I think I'd go for those Lewmar's . But do the load calculations. The Harken site has a load caculator.

Jim
Old 10-13-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Well crap, you did have to send me off to the Garhauer site... my boat budget just cried out in agony.