Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South West Michigan
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ok, ok I knew it was going to be work, but let me tell you that this is the part two of the bottom. My learning curve and the really hard work was done last spring on side one. I was going to do it the old fashion way. I bought a random orbital sander - a must have unit, but quickly found that there was way too much build up of paint and that I was never going to get it off with just that. After consulting with the Bristol group e-mail list, and a couple knowledgeable people who told me it was going to be a lot of work, I bought a small grinder and sand pad attachment. Messy, but this took of the paint quickly. Trouble was that if I wasn't extra carefull I gouged the gel coat. Sitting under the boat next to the keel with safety glasses and dust mask donned, and a grinder running at 6000 rpm with 60 grit paper grinding away paint over your head soon got to be very hard work, not to mention dangerous. I got all the paint off though - one side. I stopped there, and spent the next month and half filling in all my gouges and sanding them back down. I must have spent $100 in sand paper and dust masks, and used almost 1/2 a quart of epoxy. Finally I got it faired and painted - one side with vc-17. By then it was late june and hot and there was no way I was going to do that kind of work in hot weather.... heck there was no way I was going to do that kind of work again period. So, after sitting out a season of sailing on the big lake, I'm back at it again. This time side two. This time with the most volital, corrosive, and if need be toxic chemical I can get my hands on. I'm going to pay the chemical man to have the chemicals do the work. Something I said I'd never do last spring.
By the way, I've found the right product. Today I bought interlux 299E. West marine took back the 3/4 gallon of the stuff I previously bought that didn't work. They gave me full credit, and then I bought a quart of the interlux stuff. This stuff is not Green! It has some serious solvents. It lists Toulene, Acetone, Methyl alcohol, and ketones. It smells good, and works good. Brush it on, wait 10 minutes and scrape it off. I did have to apply it a second time to get down to the gelcoat. At $30 dollars a quart, and with half a quart gone and only a quarter of the side done, I could see this was going to get expensive.... To the local hardware store I went (truevalue). I found a gallon of a marine zip strip product with mineral spirits, methylane chloride, and methanol.... Cost $30.. it works twice as good as the interlux! I'm half done and still have more than half the can left. Half stripped in 3 hours! The West Marine 30 minutes away, the local hardware 1 minute away. Why didn't I check there first!
Thanks for your support - < 180 days till splash - John.