Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-14-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Thomas Walker Photos

In the thread "Another Old Thread???" I promised Sailhog that I would post some pics of my Thomas Walkers. So here is the link to my album of a few pics of the two that I own. One is a complete set, while the other is just the main unit. Both are Knotmasters, but the one that is only a main unit is a newer version of the Knotmaster while the complete set is an older version. I went through a fair amount of pain to get the complete set from England, but my friends that live aboard their Westsail 32 gave me the newer main unit. Does anyone else around here keep and use nautical antiques?

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...ry.php/cat/581
Old 10-15-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Unfortunately I collect and use logs, sextants and chronometers along with any old rigging, maritime specific tools etc. I lend some to the museum, use others and pay to store the rest because I live on a boat and don’t have room. I especially enjoy the Cherub and Trident types made by Walker and I have most of the variations all the way back to their first one. I don’t have any Harpoon logs made by Walker but I am just now talking to a collector about trading one of my complete boxed with all the paperwork Cherubs for a Harpoon he has. I have the Knotmaster in both the sling and deck mount version but prefer to user the sling mount Ecxelsior MK IV model on my boat because of the larger fish compared to the Knotmaster. I also have the MK II and MK III in both types of mounts.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Sapper,
That unit is pristine... What is its manufacture date? I saw a taff rail log last year in Beaufort (not a Thomas Walker), and it looked like it had circumnavigated a couple of times. Yours, by comparison, looks like it hasn't been rained on. I believe you mentioned in the original post that you plan on using it?
Old 10-15-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
"Does anyone else around here keep and use nautical antiques?"

Guilty. Also have a Walker Log (Excelsior IV, sling version), several sextants, RDFs, lorans, early GPS's, old VHFs and HF radios, assorted rigging parts, clocks and barometers, and assorted other maritime memorabilia.

Only old stuff still "in use" aboard are a couple of Plath sextants, two lorans, and two RDFs.

I guess I'm "around here" if you're in Maryland....I'm based in Northern Virginia.

Bill
Old 10-15-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Sailhog,
I have to do some research to figure out the dates, I think the date is printed in the manual or stamped in the box somwhere, but can't remember right now. I do plan on using them. However, I want to see if I can't have more fish and line weights cast before I do, that way I can use the new ones with out a real worry of losing them.

Robert,
In the pictures you can see that I have both sling and deck mounts for them. I was able to buy new slings from Robert White Instruments. They still have an inventory of small parts if you need anything for yours. The parts aren't listed on the website, you have to call and ask what they have left.
http://www.robertwhite.com/

btrayfors,
By "around here" I meant Sailnet.
Old 02-12-2008

hammer is on a distinguished road
Hi Tartan34C. I'm new to this forum. I don't own a boat but I used to work on a very old vessel built in Newport News. I was a Deck Cadet for 2 years.

I have a very old Thomas Walker Cherub log, Mark II that is. But on the face, it's got Dutch wordings of 'milj' (think it's 'mile' in English). Maybe modified, or copied version of the original - I don't know. I was wondering whether any of you guys has any info on this?? I can post up some photos of it soon. Someone on the ship wanted to throw it away, but I took it.

I also have an old ships clock dated 1942 and has 'U.S Maritime Commission' written on it. Someone wanted to throw it away too. Believe me, it's a very old ship, it has still the original 1914 compass binnacle on it! Interesting ship! But yeah,..about the log. Let me know if anything comes up. I just want to know its history and the market price for it if I do sell it. Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
The only interesting things I have, other than the antique I sail, are a WWII era oil signal lantern, and a WWI era poster, signed by the Sec. of Navy (T. Roosevelt) asking for the donation of binaculars and spyglasses to the war effort.
Old 02-12-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
and a WWI era poster, signed by the Sec. of Navy (T. Roosevelt) asking for the donation of binaculars and spyglasses to the war effort.
Hey, I think I saw you on the Antiques Road Show!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-12-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
The only interesting things I have, other than the antique I sail, are a WWII era oil signal lantern, and a WWI era poster, signed by the Sec. of Navy (T. Roosevelt) asking for the donation of binaculars and spyglasses to the war effort.
Neat stuff. I don't own anything like this...

Regarding the poster, it is a curiosity. I think the signature more likely belongs to FDR, who was Ass't Secretary of the Navy (1913-1920) during the WWI years of the Wilson administration. T.R. served as Ass't SecNav (1897-1898) during the first McKinley admin, before resigning to join the army and lead the Rough Riders.

TR was an avid sailor, by the way. His bad heart finally caught up with him in 1919.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-12-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added TR year of death.
Old 02-13-2008

hammer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
Unfortunately II especially enjoy the Cherub and Trident types made by Walker I also have the MK II and MK III in both types of mounts.

Robert Gainer
Hi guys, I'll be posting the pictures of the Walkers log that I have soon. Meanwhile if anyone has more info on the Mark II Walkers Cherub log, let me know. Thanks