Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2007

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Stern anchor question

What size/type of anchor should I use for a stern anchor?

I have a 10,500 lb displacement, 31' sloop. I have a 35 lb. Delta and 50' of chain, then Brait, for bower anchor and rode.

Would a 14 lb. Delta be sufficient? The boat came with a Fortress Fx11, but after two years of trying I cannot get it to set and stay set. . .

Thanks for any recommendations/suggestions you all can make.

Mary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi Mary,

Our boat is the same length as and a bit more displacement than yours. We have a 35 lb CQR primary, 25 lb Delta secondary on the bow. On the stern we have a Fortress FX-16, and an FX-11 as a back-up. I don't think you'd want anything dimensionally larger than the FX-16, it's a pretty bulky anchor.

Edit: The Fortress/Danforth style anchors seem to be a good complement to the plow styles, and they are nice and light for handling off the stern. If you are having trouble getting your Fortress to set, it may be related to the bottom you are trying to set it in. They have an adapter that sets the flukes at a steeeper angle for soft mud, and which likewise should not be used for hard pack sand. Do you know whether the adapter is fitted on your anchor?

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2007

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Nope, no adaptor.

Hi, John:

I think I may not be getting the overall setup tight enough to hold it dead-on fore and aft to the anchors. But I frequently anchor where the wind and swell direction changes radically overnight, or where there is a mixed swell.

Mary
Old 10-15-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
The question of stern anchor is no different to that of primary, with the slight difference that maybe it doesn't have to be so good at dealing with force veers / reversals etc. That said, if you need to get a new anchor, then get something so you have at least one decent pick onboard. Relegate the existing Delta to the stern and replace it as primary.

If you're allowing the boat to hang off the stern anchor, or even side winds, then you can't undersize it.

If you don't trust the Fortress, which you are right not to, sell it and fund this excercise with it. They are worth a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 10-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
No need to throw away a perfectly suitable and reliable primary anchor you are happy with Mary. May I inquire WHY you need a stern anchor and how and where it will be used?
Old 10-15-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
No need to throw away a perfectly suitable and reliable primary anchor you are happy with Mary. May I inquire WHY you need a stern anchor and how and where it will be used?
King Harbor-(Redondo Beach, Ca.). Harbor patrol mandates it. If you Google the area you'll see why.

Not sure where else you'd need one, unless in tight quarters like I just mentioned...........
Old 10-15-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
And here I thought that Fortress FX-16 is a good choice of a primary anchor for a 35' sailboat.
Old 10-15-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Try just rope rode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary51 View Post
The boat came with a Fortress Fx11, but after two years of trying I cannot get it to set and stay set. . .

Thanks for any recommendations/suggestions you all can make.

Mary

Are you using chain rode with the Fortress, if so, try just a rope rode and see if you can set it that way.

I remember reading this suggestion in...I think it was SAIL magazine. In addition, my Uncle uses a Fortress on a 38' with all rope rode for 5 years now with great success. BTW, this is in the Chesapeake where it is mostly soft mud.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-16-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
I personally like the fortress as a stern anchor since it can be disassembled into a very easy to store size if I don't foresee using it. It takes maybe 2 minutes to put back together, so no prob there. I've only used a stern anchor in really crowded anchorages, and then, used the dingy to set it (another plus for the fortress light weight). The fluke style seems common off the stern, I would guess because of its light weight. Whatever you do, never compromise on a quality anchor and quality chain and rode.
Old 10-16-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
We have a HT Danforth #22 rigged on the stern with 60' of 5/16" chain and 150' of 3/4" three-strand. The last time we anchored in King Harbor, I raised the bow anchor-(#60 CQR) first (which came up fairly easily) and then slowly drifted backwards and pulled in on the stern rode. We couldn't break it out of the sloppy, gooey mud until we had just drifted over it and a bit beyond. It was very well set, to say the least.......