Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Winch Handle Maintenance

Anyone know how to get inside a winch handle ?

We have a couple of seriously nice chromed Barient handles that I am very loath to replace simply cos I love the look of the things.

One of them has lost its spring (presumably jammed or broken) in the locking mechanism. I've never taken one of these things apart. Presumed that the screw in the bottom of the handle was to remove the innards but having taken it out, nothing.

Any thoughts ? I don't want to use brute force unless I run out of other options and I don't undertsand how the mechanism is held together.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Try using some penetrating oil/lubricant and see if it frees them up first. We had one of ours get jammed because there was some corrosion forming underneath the thumb-lock lever. Some lubricant and working back/forth got it to free up. To prevent this the handles should be rinsed down when you wash down the boat. Once the chrome is worn or corroded I'm sure that the battle to keep the lock lever free from jamming becomes ongoing.
Old 10-16-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Try using some penetrating oil/lubricant and see if it frees them up first. We had one of ours get jammed because there was some corrosion forming underneath the thumb-lock lever. Some lubricant and working back/forth got it to free up. To prevent this the handles should be rinsed down when you wash down the boat. Once the chrome is worn or corroded I'm sure that the battle to keep the lock lever free from jamming becomes ongoing.

Probably poorly worded on my part but the lever moves and the locking mech moves iwth and will engage if I move the lever myslef but it's got no spring. Then again maybe you mean that the spring itself gets bunged up ? I did hit the thing with lubricant before I left her on Sunday. Will see how it is working on Friday.

Thanks.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-23-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
YDW
What was the result with the with the winch handels. I hope there fixed or replaced before I get to use them... .. on second thought you might rather I lost a broken handel then a new one

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 10-23-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Straight WD40 didn't do anything at all. Allen Hutton at Arco winches suggested leaving it to soak overnight in kero first and then a squirt of WD40 or similar. He also told me how to dismantle the thing, which I've yet to try.

Apparently the locking lever has a removeable cap which can be removed with a sharp point. I thought the thing was a one piece moulding. Under the cap is a screw that holds the whole thing together. The screw on the bottom of the locking mech is only for adjustment of the spring tension.

You live and learn. I've never had the need to dismantle a winch handle but hopefully now I know.

I'd have been really peeved if it was curtains for the handle. We've got two of them , both chrome plated. One's an Arco and other a Barient. I can't help it. I just love chrome winches and chrome winch handles. Raven's winches are old Maxwells that have chrome bodies but black tops. Damn I wish they where all chrome.

Thinking of replacing the primaries with a couple of larger and relegating the old primaries to backup. Ms W finds the existing winches a bit underpowered. As you know Simon, she is not exactly a candidate for grinder on a V70.

We are tending towards Arcos. As much as I love Andersons the Arcos represent better value for money and they do have a reputation for being buller proof. I've also had a couple of dealing with Allen Hutton and he has never let me down or failed to answer even my simplest questions.

(That's the second plug I've given this morning. Both well deserved and both unprompted.)

ps - Simon, I've got a couple of plastic handles for duffers like you.

Old 10-23-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Soaking in kero and a little friendly persuasion did the trick.
Old 10-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Anyone know how to get inside a winch handle ?

We have a couple of seriously nice chromed Barient handles that I am very loath to replace simply cos I love the look of the things.

One of them has lost its spring (presumably jammed or broken) in the locking mechanism. I've never taken one of these things apart. Presumed that the screw in the bottom of the handle was to remove the innards but having taken it out, nothing.

Any thoughts ? I don't want to use brute force unless I run out of other options and I don't undertsand how the mechanism is held together.
Yes. This is how you get INSIDE a winch handle. You need:

1) Binoculars
2) Tweezers
3) Vacum cleaner.

Here's how you do it:

step 1 - Select person that will go INSIDE winch handle
step 2 - provide "going inside winch handle" tools
step 3 - place selected person in front of you
step 4 - Look thru binoculars thru the wrong end, that's the large diameter part you idiot
step 5 - person will look small
step 6 - gently pick person up with tweezers
step 7 - Place person, now very small, inside winch handle
step 8 - after person does whatever they have to do INSIDE the winch handle. vaccum person out
step 9 - remove binoculars from eyes...

there

easy huh???

Next??

This procedure can also be used to pass an elephant underneath a door, repeat steps 1 to 6, then place elephant inside an enveloppe. Slide envelope under door
Old 10-23-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Yes. This is how you get INSIDE a winch handle. You need:

1) Binoculars
2) Tweezers
3) Vacum cleaner.

Here's how you do it:

step 1 - Select person that will go INSIDE winch handle
step 2 - provide "going inside winch handle" tools
step 3 - place selected person in front of you
step 4 - Look thru binoculars thru the wrong end, that's the large diameter part you idiot
step 5 - person will look small
step 6 - gently pick person up with tweezers
step 7 - Place person, now very small, inside winch handle
step 8 - after person does whatever they have to do INSIDE the winch handle. vaccum person out
step 9 - remove binoculars from eyes...

there

easy huh???

Next??

This procedure can also be used to pass an elephant underneath a door, repeat steps 1 to 6, then place elephant inside an enveloppe. Slide envelope under door
Arsehole !!!

Hey Alex, while I have your attention, G has winch handles with the speed grip thingy on top. (I'm sorry I have no idea what you really call it) . Happy with them ?

Old 10-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Arsehole !!!

Hey Alex, while I have your attention, G has winch handles with the speed grip thingy on top. (I'm sorry I have no idea what you really call it) . Happy with them ?
Yes, very, specially when wet.

Also the larger disk allows second hand on top, to help rotate.

Last edited by Giulietta; 10-23-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Yes, very, specially when wet.

Also the larger disk allows second hand on top, to help rotate.
Muito obrigado !