Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Two-line reefing set-up...

I want a dirt-simple arrangement, and I think I've got a workable one -- but I want to make sure it's workable... The tack reef is simply going to be a 1/2-inch line cleated on the mast. My question has to do with the clew reef line.

What I think will work best is a cheek block attached to the aft-most end of the boom and a cleat attached about 1-1/2 feet forward of the cheek block. I have a few questions before I start drilling holes in my boom:
1.) Will this work well?
2.) Any ideas on the specific cheek block that would work best?
3.) What kind of cleat would work best? A simple deck cleat? Cam cleat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
I want a dirt-simple arrangement, and I think I've got a workable one -- but I want to make sure it's workable... The tack reef is simply going to be a 1/2-inch line cleated on the mast. My question has to do with the clew reef line.

What I think will work best is a cheek block attached to the aft-most end of the boom and a cleat attached about 1-1/2 feet forward of the cheek block. I have a few questions before I start drilling holes in my boom:
1.) Will this work well?
2.) Any ideas on the specific cheek block that would work best?
3.) What kind of cleat would work best? A simple deck cleat? Cam cleat?
For the clew reef line you want to use a horn cleat (such as http://ronstan.thomasnet.com/viewite...ies/horn-cleat) located on the boom close th gooseneck, as when you go to put in a reef, the main and boom will quite usually be swinging wildly in the breeze and you don't want to go near the aft end of the boom. Use a horn cleat so that you can safely secure the reefing line - you don't want it coming lose after the main has been retrimmed.

For the reef tack, you can use a line as you suggest, but you are adding un-necessary complexity in doing so, as the line requires at least two attachment points, plus a long length of line. Most reef setups just use a hook on the gooseneck ( see http://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Reef_Hooks.html).

As to blocks to use, take a look at Harken's catalog http://www.harken.com/rigtips/reefing.php
Old 10-16-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
For the clew line, include a padeye or something on the opposite side of the boom from the cheek block, to tie the bitter end to. Then you get a 2:1 advantage when you run it up through the reefing cringle, then back down through the cheek block, then forward.
Old 10-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
For the clew line, include a padeye or something on the opposite side of the boom from the cheek block, to tie the bitter end to. Then you get a 2:1 advantage when you run it up through the reefing cringle, then back down through the cheek block, then forward.
Thanks Tom,
I was going to simply tie a bowline around the boom, and then run it up through the reefing cringle, and then back down through the cheek block, etc. What you're saying is that I should install padeye in place of the bowline? I guess I'm not clear on how that would deliver the 2:1 advantage. Thanks again for taking the time.

Sailingfool,
Thanks for the links. I can see how the tack reef assembly is a better approach.
Old 10-16-2007

joeasburyp is on a distinguished road
I have a twin set-up, will take the pic's and post.
Old 10-16-2007

I'd appreciate that very much, Joe.
Old 10-16-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Tie around boom..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
You do not want to tie the reef line back to a padeye. The termination of the reefing line needs to both stretch the foot of the main AND pull the reef down to the boom. Terminating the reef line to a padeye at the end of the boom will result in a foot not pulled down to the boom - the reefed main will be more full than it should.

Take a look at CAPTTB's post and my clarification comment in this thread Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got? as to how to secure the reefing line to the boom.
Old 10-16-2007

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Obviously you have a sail that is either loose footed or has slides. This is good as you will be able to tie a bowline around the boom. Once you have the bowline properly located, secure it in place w/ an EYESTRAP http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

to keep the bowline from sliding fore and aft. Note that the strap does NOT carry any load, it's just there to keep the line in place.
Your cheek block, as has been noted by SAILINGFOOL, needs to be located just aft of where the cringle would contact the boom. This way when you first start reefing most of the pull is DOWN to bring the cringle to the boom, but then when it's most of the way down... the reefing line starts pulling more AFT to properly tension the foot of the sail.

For those of you that have a sail w/ a BOLTROPE... you need to come up w/ a sturdy attachment for the bitter end of the reefing line, IE a cleat.
It really is important to take advantage of the 2:1 purchase this allows. I've sailed on a boat that was not rigged properly and it was a MOTHER to reef.
Old 10-16-2007

I can not seem to get these pic's to post, please email me at don't have enough post so see next post. I hope that for the sake of everyone you can. I will give you a explaination of each in my email. sorry all that this has to tack a few more times before we get "hook on".
Old 10-16-2007

joeasburyp@comcast.net