Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-16-2007
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Harken Mark II Furling Repair on Pacific Seacraft 37

I've just got my hands on a Pacific Seacraft 37 Cutter with Harken furling on both the headsail and staysail. They are Mark II models.

The headsail works fine, no worries. However, the staysail furling works but is not as smooth and seems to require more force than the headsail. I'm thinking that something in the hub assembly needs some lubrication or repair.

Does anyone have any experience with this system and can give any tips on what to look for, where, and the best way to get this oiled up and running smooth?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-16-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Others will be more knowledgeable, but in the meantime, I would check the following:

1) Shroud tension should be fairly tight--too loose and it will not furl properly
2) Halyard tension should be taut but not too tight, just enough to get the horizontal lines out of the sail, otherwise it may be hard to furl
3) Make sure you don't have halyard wrap at the top of the furler
4) I would take the sail down to get at the top fitting, and spray it with McLube and ensure it swivels freely
5) Ensure that the reefing line and the blocks it runs through are smooth, operate freely and at the right angle
6) Ensure the reefing line is the correct diameter/thickness so it isn't binding in the drum or rubbing on any part of the drum as it furls/unfurls
7) Unscrew the fitting just above the drum (3 screws, i think) raise it up a bit, lubricate it with McLube

If all of that is good, spray water into the drum to rinse off any salt and then spray McLube in the drum itself where the bearings are to lubricate it. If that doesn't solve it, I'm not sure.
Good luck!
Frank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2007

Frank,

Thanks. The rig is down at the moment, so I think I'll take your list and work backwards. The one thing that I wasn't sure about was if the Harken has sealed bearings or no, but from your description, it sounds like I should be able to flush and lubricate them pretty easily.

I've got one 16 oz. can of McLube, but I'm not sure if its going to be enough by the time I'm done!

Ryan
Old 10-17-2007
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
DON'T use anything but water on the bearings!!! Any lubricant will attract dirt and wear them out quickly.

Download the manuals from the Harken website.

The bearings come apart pretty easily with snaprings. If the balls are worn/out of round you can replace them. T
Old 10-17-2007

Don,

I had been assuming that I could use an anhydrous (dry) lubricant such as McLube on the bearings, as well as sailtracks, etc. I think I saw that recommendation as well on the Harken website for cruising furlers, but not this model in particular.

Also, I tried to get the manuals, but they turn out to be exploded isometric parts diagrams and numbers. Do you know where an actual operation and maintenance manual can be found?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-17-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Ryan, the manual that I have for the Mark II says to flush with water, and spraying with a dry lubricant is optional (ie. not contraindicated). Given that you are having some trouble with that furler, I would use the McLube. I think the 16 oz can should be enough, as you don't need to spray much to give a light coating.
Frank.