Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-17-2007

CapnSantiago is on a distinguished road
Winterizing in North Texas

I purchased a 1983 Islander Bahama 30 this summer on Lake Texoma (on the state line between Texas and Oklahoma) and I am wondering what my options are for winterizing. Winters are short here (Dec. thru Feb...although there can sometimes be an early freeze in November) and sporadic with many days above freezing and a few usually short spikes below freezing (sometimes way below freezing...and sometimes a week of ice storms). I would like to maximimize the use of my boat for the "good days" (60's) between the cold ones and not just have it absolutely "put away" for the winter.

The systems I presume would need to be winterized are: inboard water cooled diesel, fresh water tank with pressure system and electric hot water, head, and marine air system that uses lake water. I have a nonfunctioning electric engine room heater (thermostatically controlled), which I know I need to replace from the survey. Also, the marine air system I believe is a reversible heat pump that can provide heat for my weekend stays at the slip with shore power.

Do I really need to drain all my systems and flush/fill with the proper antifreeze solution? This would make all my systems nonfunctioning unless I dewinterized and rewinterized at each use (not practical). Can I not just rely on the engine room heat to protect the engine and water heater (which is near the engine compartment)? Could I install another electric/thermostat controlled heater in the bow compartment where the marine air system is for its protection thereby allowing me to leave it functional?

If I could at least leave the engine and marine air functional by protecting with the electric heaters I could use the boat without the conveniences of water and head facilities.

Any help/thoughts/input would be appreciated. Anyone in the area with specific relative experience input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - CapnSantiago
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
You might be able to get away with simply using an engine block heater and draining the water tnak(s), water system and water heater. The AC and head are problematic unless you feel lucky.
Old 10-22-2007

CPaul - Got your private message but am unable to respond (only 8 of 10 posts required)...I bought the Islander over at Cedar Mills where I'm docked...where are yoyu and what are you on? - CapnS
Old 10-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I am at Cedar Mills too. I am on C dock. Congrats on the Islander.

As far as winterizing, I do very little. The thing I am most worried about is the shower on the stern, so I unsulate that very well from the outside and drain the water out of it.

Outside of that, unless we lose power, you should be fine. THe lake seems to stay in the 50's during the winter, which keep the boat above freezing. However, each to his own and you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-22-2007

CD - How about that..Thanks...I'm on H slip 44 out towards the end...some winds we had this weekend (20-30)...come by and say Hi sometime...

so the lake helps keep things from freezing...I was thinking just the opposite, but I guess that makes since as the lake never freezes it could act as a thermal sink...I wasn't looking forward to draining everything down and flushing with antifreeze...I hope to do some sailing over the winter on sunny days (although I do not like the cold) or at least hanging out and getting some projects done for a better summer...

Thanks for the input...

CapnS
Old 10-22-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
CS,

Just remember that I have heating in my boat that keeps it warm. You will have to be much more conscious if you do not.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: