Homebrew Seatalk PC interface - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2007 Thread Starter

Homebrew Seatalk PC interface

I ran across a website which details building a seatalk to serial port connection, and programming in C to interface with seatalk devices. It seems to makes sense, but I cant seem to "hear" or talk to my autopilot on my laptop. I constructed both the "unidirectional" and "bidirectional seatalk-RS232 interfaces and neither yielded any results.

Has anyone done this before?

BTW, my purpose in doing this project is to use a wireless game controller to control my S1 wheelpilot. I dont want to pay $500 for a remote when I can make my one for $30 .

Here is the website that aided and embedded this attempt to avoid being a good consumer.
www thomasknauf de / seatalk htm
Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2007
Back to just the Jon boat

They make waterproof game controllers?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2007

Fun project - and I am going to have to bookmark that link in the hopes I get around to integrating my laptop with an autopilot.

From your description it sounds like you have having issues w/ the device driver portion of your system. Though it could be anyone of a number of things. I am assuming that you are using the listed C code on the page (and not the Windows version in the *.zip slightly further down). My guess would be that you are running Windows - not a true MS-DOS environment. The hardware abstraction layer in Windows doesn't allow for using ports based on memory-mapped IO (otherwise it would be possible to stomp all over another program's IO).

So, I would first look into your code / OS. Ensure you can at output pins and input pins (a Multimeter can be useful for this - otherwise a paper clip and an LED can work wonders).

Once you get that working - I would ensure that your custom circuit board is translating the data correctly (again - ensure you are getting _something_ in both directions).

If you post some more info (OS, which code you are using, compiler, and where the point of failure is (custom hardware, or custom software)) I could say a bit more.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.